🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Compilers

Started by
10 comments, last by Colonel Dracula 24 years, 5 months ago
For windows programming, what are some of the compilers used? And, which languages are used with Windows? DirectX? OpenGl? VIsual C++, or is that not a language? Also, besides this site, where is a good site to educate oneself about basic compiler compatibility? I have an older Borland C++ Windows compatible compiler----it''s a 3.1. Not sure about what it can do, and borland.com isn''t much help with this as it''s old. But not that old. thnx
Advertisement
Hi !!

Well, the one and only really very, very good compiler/IDE is Visual C++ !! DirectX, OpenGL and Visual C++ aren''t languages. DirectX and OpenGL are APIs (Application Programming Interface) which make live a lot easier when writing 3D Apps. Visual C++ is not a language, it is Microsofts interpretion or better, implementation of the C++ language. Visual C++ 6.0 is the best IDE/Compiler for C++ you can get, however it''s not cheap. I would recommend getting the "Learing C++ in 21 days"-Book. You will get Visual C++ 6.0 Learning Edition (which is Visual C++ 6.0 with some limitations) with this book. With this you will learn Windows Programming, MFC, C++ and so on and you can learn the use and benefits of Visual C++ 6.0 IDE !! When you are finished with this book try to get the full version of Visual C++ 6.0 and start programming OpenGL or Direct3D apps. There are hundreds of great tutorials in the net which get you started very easily.

Visual C++ 6.0 Learning edition + Book costs about $20-$30 I think. I never used it, but a lot of people I know and they all said it''s great.

Hope that helped a bit.

Phillip
Yep!
That''s my opinion, too. You can use almost every Windows C/C++ campiler to make your DirectX-progs.
Before i got Visual C++ i used WATCOMs Compiler (v11). Because it''s development has been canceled, it may not be too expensive anymore. (The compiler is very good, but i don''t like the IDE very much). There are also some compilers available that come for free .

CYa... Andreas
Borland C++ 3.1 won''t work, whether it''s the Windows version or not, because it''s only a 16 bit compiler, and all DirectX stuff required a 32 bit compiler. If I were you I would do what PS suggested. Visual C++ is a good compiler and IDE, plus it''s got great documentation.

------------------------------
Jonathan Little
invader@hushmail.com
http://www.crosswinds.net/~uselessknowledge
Sorry,
I forgot to mention that 32bit thing...
I would also recommend the Borland C++ Builder series of compilers. It compiles most Visual C++ emitted source without too much fuss, and codes Win32 GUI apps faster and easier than Visual C++. This is especially useful when making your own editting tools, etc.
That''s exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks all.
my personal preference is Metrowerks Codewarrior 5. costs about $60 and comes with two cd''s: one for the compiler, and one filled with books and documentation, etc. comes with DirectX 7 and OpenGL 1.2 i think.

_________________Gecko___

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design
i USE VC++ 4.2 its old but works fine with directx and hasent given me any problems. You might look on ebay.com you can generaly fine vc++ ? professional and standered compilers going from like 20 - 80$
So where does the capability lie which allows you to take control of the screen? As in plotting pixels. My 16-bit c programs are just text programs.

What was the old-fashioned method? Was that BIOS interrupts? Now you just compile graphic code through, say, Visual C++, and the screen displays the result of the code?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement