🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bizdev for Start-up (Boardgame Digital Adaptations)

Started by
3 comments, last by mcmuzzle 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm not sure this belongs here, or anywhere for that matter, but I figured I'd ask anyway and see if anyone has relevant info on the matter they'd be willing to offer or trade.

I'm currently in the process of turning my own start-up into a full-time business, but this is not without its challenges. I'm sure many others here weren't able to fully translate on day 1 to just making IPs full-time and making a living off of that.
I'm hoping to leverage my team's experience in development of digital apps/games to do some personalized servicing in a niche market: boardgame adaptations for Android/iOS and desktop.

Problem is, I'm having a rough time breaking the ice with reps from boardgame publishers (Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, etc.) and was wondering if anyone had any idea where to start (that would be better than just cold calling them as I'm already doing).
Are there events I should go? People I should be aware of that could help bridge that gap?
Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisement

wondering if anyone had any idea where to start (that would be better than just cold calling them as I'm already doing).
Are there events I should go? People I should be aware of that could help bridge that gap?

- Chicago Toy & Game Group, chitag.com - 2015 Toy & Game Innovation Conference coming up Nov. 19!
- Essen Game Fair, of course.
See FAQ 20 on my site. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/lesson20.htm Some of the links are dead and I need to clean it up, but there's a lot there.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

P.S. I'm moving this to Business.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom,

Must've glossed over that lesson on my previous foray on your website (possibly because I wasn't seriously considering board games as an avenue back then).

Thanks for the heads up!!

By the way, I had the same project for a while. My conclusion are that Big editors already has their own developement team. I had more success with smaller editor. One thing to keep in mind, their is not a single rule for IP, each contract is different. Sometime the editor get all the rights, sometime you need to pay a part to the artist or sometime the game conceptor keep the right for electronic adaptation. As said above, the best way to connect is to meet them in person in essen, i went to Cannes in France and got some nice propositions.

Good luck in your project.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement