🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Going VR Oculus Rift(for final year project at uni)

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 8 months ago

Hi guys/girls,

Just wanted to start a discussion about the importance or relevance of the choice you make for your final year project at University, I am a final year student studying for a Bsc(Hons)computer science(Games Development) Degree, and was looking into using the Oculus Rift with the latest version of Unity to basically push myself into a relatively new and growing area of games development.

My concerns and thoughts are as follows:

Just stick to what i know and have learned already and improve on them to produce a higher grade game at the end.

Putting aside the media hype about VR is it a real world choice for graduates to pursue and have a successful career.

Spending a large chunk of my maintenance grant on buying the developers version of Oculus Rift (about £350)and then living off beans for the next 9 months.

I have coded several simple games whilst at Uni ranging from C++, javaScript and C#, here is a link to one scripted in c# in Unity so you can take a look and probably chuckle at the mistakes in it:

feedback welcomed good or bad.

Regards,

carl

Advertisement

1. is it a real world choice for graduates to pursue and have a successful career.
2. Spending a large chunk of my maintenance grant on buying the developers version of Oculus Rift

1. Many students develop projects on the Rift. Having developed on the Rift does not shackle you or lock you into a particular direction. Not having developed on the Rift does not shackle you or lock you in. Neither a pro nor a con.
2. That sounds like a serious "con" to the idea.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement