🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Simpsons Hit & Run on iOS

Started by
4 comments, last by Ben Rolfe 8 years, 9 months ago

Good evening all, I hope you are all doing well!

I have been planning for ever a year now to attempt to bring the old school PS2 and Xbox game which we all know and love "The Simpsons Hit & Run" to iOS and Android.

I understand that the original game developing company and publishers have gone bust and i understand the copyright laws about distributing the game on the Google Play or App Store but what would i need to go through to port/re-master the game to Android and iOS?

I really hope i can take this idea and make it a possibility.

Thanks all,

Warm Regards,

Ben biggrin.png

Advertisement

You need to start by speaking to the IP owner of the Simpsons.

They won't even acknowledge you though unless you have a proven track record of making good games and/or tons of money and a big publisher behind you to negotiate with their legal team.

Do you have any of these things before you start?

DON'T, I REPEAT, DONT write any code for the game until you have permission as you'll just be wasting your time...

Good luck!

They won't even acknowledge you though unless you have a proven track record of making good games and/or tons of money and a big publisher behind you to negotiate with their legal team.

DON'T, I REPEAT, DONT write any code for the game until you have permission as you'll just be wasting your time...

Good luck!

Thanks for your help, it was just a little project i wanted to undertake. I guess its not really possible then and i should give up.

Thanks,

Ben

Good luck!

Thanks for your help, it was just a little project i wanted to undertake. I guess its not really possible then and i should give up.

Thanks,

Ben

Have you considered creating a spiritual successor?

Create your own dysfunctional family of five, and the same GTA style mechanics and missions. Before you know it you'll be creating something original with its own ideas. Remember that saints row started off as a cheap GTA knock off and it evolved into something completely different and just as good by the second and third episodes. Bioshock was spiritual successor to system shock 2, but they are very different games, the newer of the two having most of the RPG elements stripped back, and a more moralistic plot...

I'm sure you have lots of ideas in your head that might result in a good game... Just don't outright copy Simpsons hit and run smile.png

Moving to Business forum.

Making ANY games based on The Simpsons is going to require proper licensing. Without it, sooner or later (probably sooner) you'll end up with some legal nastygrams arriving at your door.

Make your own game.

Good luck!

Thanks,

Ben

Have you considered creating a spiritual successor?

Create your own dysfunctional family of five, and the same GTA style mechanics and missions. Before you know it you'll be creating something original with its own ideas. Remember that saints row started off as a cheap GTA knock off and it evolved into something completely different and just as good by the second and third episodes. Bioshock was spiritual successor to system shock 2, but they are very different games, the newer of the two having most of the RPG elements stripped back, and a more moralistic plot...

I'm sure you have lots of ideas in your head that might result in a good game... Just don't outright copy Simpsons hit and run smile.png

Has to be the nicest reply, thank you.

Regards,

Ben

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement