🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Needing advice!

Started by
13 comments, last by Tom Sloper 8 years, 10 months ago
First off id like to go ahead of time and say thank you to anyone who gives some advice, and apologize for any errors I have in this topic I'm typing on my iphone. Anyway, I have recently joined the military and am 19 years old. I can get free college and what not while I'm in an afterwards, so I'm wondering what degree is best in the game industry. I've messed around and developed a little bit on unity, and loved in. Also blender, I really enjoy making 3d models and I'm very creative. So what degree will help me to get a job? A degree in game devolping? Or something else. I've looked at degrees offered by full sail. And SCAD. Any advice about schools, degrees, and what the work environment is like is well welcomed, and appreciated.
Advertisement

There always is shortage of programmers (not only in game dev) and they earn more than others. Plus, as a programmer you are able to make a game alone (or almost alone). Also, if you want to be a designer being also a programmer is almost obligatory (I don't recall a single famous game designer that was unable to code). Overall, in all teams programmers have an immense real influence, since it is others (designers) that need to convince them (since they are actually turning design into the code) :)

If have a knack for it and like it (very important!), I strongly recommend.

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

I'm still in university myself, but things I hear in interviews and stuff all recommend going to school for programming, because programmers get paid well and don't have a whole lot of trouble finding work. I know there are some canadian universities (I imagine there are others, too) that offer programs that result in a Computer Science degree with a specialization/honours in Computer Game Development. Carleton (in Ottawa) offers that, and I'm pretty sure a similar program is offered at Concordia (in Montreal).

Making the charecters, I guess that would be a game designer? There's just so many different aspects of it that I like. I'm new to all the coding and programming. But that's also why I'm seeking a degree. With the military I will be able to get 2 degrees free. No matter the charge of the school.
I'm going to sound crazy, but what all does a programmer do?

program: graphics, ai, ui, gameplay, and sound to name a few :)

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

That is to say, we implement it. Programmers don't design the gameplay, make the art, compose the sound, unless we're also the game designer, artist, composer, etc... of whatever project we are working on.

I'm not sure about University courses, but I suggest starting to design now. Get a head start!

I'd think trying some programming would help more than wordy metaphors.

There is a nice website tutorial for that on tryruby.org , just follow the instructions and type in what it tells you.

Its very simple beginner stuff, but might be enough for a first impression.

I'm wondering what degree is best in the game industry.

Since this is not a Game Design question, I'm moving this to the Game Job Advice board.

Making the charecters, I guess that would be a game designer? There's just so many different aspects of it that I like. I'm new to all the coding and programming. But that's also why I'm seeking a degree. With the military I will be able to get 2 degrees free. No matter the charge of the school.

First off, the "best" degree is one that will help you further your passion. If you are passionate about programming (and clearly you are not, given your question), then the "best" degree is a Computer Science degree. If you are passionate about creating art or animation, then the "best" degree is an art degree. If you are passionate about designing games, then major in whatever you want. Read this forum's FAQs (click above where it says "Game Industry Job Advice," then look at the right side for "Getting Started."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement