🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to find out System Requirements

Started by
5 comments, last by C++ Freak 24 years, 5 months ago
I would like to know how you figure out system requirements. I think that the answer I''m going to get is test it on other computers, but I''m wondering if there''s an easier or better way. The on the side of the print screen key it says SysRq (system requirements). Does that key do anything when you hold shift or something? If there are any programs out there than that would be helpful also.
Visit http://members.xoom.com/ivanickgames
Advertisement
wishfull thinking. Nothing in life is as easy as pushing a button.

Memory requirments are pretty easy to figure out. For video mem it would just be the memory you are using in your game for the surfaces. For system memory it would be the size of all your structures+any system memory surfaces+any other memory that you grap. The memory requirements shouldn''t change. unless you program for multiple resolutions. then you have a bit more figuring out to do. As for processor speed requirments. I couldn''t really tell you.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

SysRq - System Request
I figured I would have to do it the hard way, but you never know.
Visit http://members.xoom.com/ivanickgames
Regarding the CPU requirements....
You could complete the test on your PC. Simply, lower the clock of your CPU. However, i''d do that only when my Motherboard supports this through the BIOS. (Configuring the jumpers everytime is worsh than hell).

Hope this helps.
... LEMMINGS ... LEMMINGS ... LEMMINGS ... LEM..... SpLaSh!...Could this be what we stand like before the mighty One?Are we LeMmIngS or WhAt!? ;)
If you are saying how do you find out what kind of hardware you
have "programmically" then you can pretty much find out general
stuff like memory, operating system, processor type, hard drive
space, etc..

Or search for a program called msinfo32.exe on your computer and
run it. You can probably also find many shareware programs on
the Internet that can generate all this information to a single
text file.

On the comment about processor speeds, I think this is useless
info to try to query for games, which is somewhat difficult if
you''re not into assembly. Your computer''s speed isn''t simply
stored as number anywhere. Just find out what type of processor
it is, Pentium I, Pentium II, etc., not the speed itself. How
to do this is on www.intel.com in the developer''s section.
Actualy Testing the Procceser is probaly more usefull than the clock speed(espically when it comes to K7)hehe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement