🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Mobile game theme.

Started by
3 comments, last by Scouting Ninja 8 years, 12 months ago

I am developing a mobile game, however the original theme I had in mind isn't going to work.

After doing research on what themes would work I find that I can't makeup my mind, arranged in popularity: Zombies, Post apocalyptic and Fantasy.

The game involves the player taking control off a survivor who has to fend for himself, the player slowly builds his new home gaining more survivors to work with. The player can take control of anyone of his characters.

The game is more of a god game than a RTS, with the player sometimes needing to make choices about the fate of his survivors.

Scavenging, salvaging, resource management and base building will be a large part of this game.

Players will be able to attack each others basses, there will also be battles when players scavenge.

Battles will be small with players controlling a handful of characters, each character having unique abilities. Tick based combat, each tick around four to eight seconds long.

It will be my first mobile game, will be a wait or pay game, I want to keep it small and will be my first MMO.(not my first attempt at a MMO)

Social interaction will be limited and expanded as I get things working.

I am leaning towards zombies, it was the one with the highest rating during research and it will be the simplest. Fantasy allows for the most creativity and I expect it to be the hardest to make. Post apocalyptic is a good middle ground.

Advertisement

Your game sounds like a mix of Fallout Shelter and Clash of Clans, two games in one, you like challenges wink.png

I want to keep it small and will be my first MMO

This is a paradox wink.png

I am leaning towards zombies....it will be the simplest

Yes, this is true and I would follow this way.

will be a wait or pay game

Lot of challenges here, good luck wink.png

Your game sounds like a mix of Fallout Shelter and Clash of Clans, two games in one, you like challenges

With a dash of State of decay for scavenging.

This is a paradox

Don't I know it, however I have a plan.

I will be making the original mobile game NOT to have any multiplayer support, and a Pc clone- that will never be released- with multiplayer. From my brief look into mobile networking I found that it was very similar to Pc, using Unreal 4 I can copy data from one to the other to add networking to the mobile game.

I know it won't be that easy and it means more work, but if it doesn't work I will still have a mobile game and none of the players ever need to know what the game could have been.

It also means I will have to make a fun game for it to work as a single player game.

Yes, this is true and I would follow this way.

The good thing about zombies is that a lot of it has been done before, so people know what to expect.

The bad side is that it's been over done, I fear people will avoid the game just because it has zombies. With out networking there will be no friends making others play the game for there own sake, so I need a way to draw players.

Scouting Ninja, on 15 Jul 2015 - 03:25 AM, said:

will be a wait or pay game
Lot of challenges here, good luck

This is the whole reason I am making the game, I have a few ideas on how to rework the wait or pay.

I don't plan on making any money, if the game can pay for it self I will call it a success; especially if it has multiplayer and can pay for it's own servers.

This sounds cool, were you thinking 2d looking down, like most god-type games?

This sounds cool, were you thinking 2d looking down, like most god-type games?

Sorry for taking so long I have been busy.

The game will be 3D from a high 3rd person angle, I chose this angle because it best hides how low poly the models are; the graphics is toon style. I am testing it to work on most mobile devices, currently I find the largest problem is that mobile devices have large variance in screen resolution.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement