🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Programming Educational Plan

Started by
0 comments, last by frob 8 years, 11 months ago

Hello! This is my very first post on this site so I am very excited to be on.

I am currently a freshman in community college and my plan is to transfer to the University of California Irvine by 2017.

I want to transfer into their Computer Game Science program, but they also offer a Computer Science program. Both of these are Bachelor of Science degrees and have the exact same transfer requirements from my community college. I have already taken two programming class (C++ and Java), and I absolutely love doing programming.

What I want to ask is

Which of these bachelor degrees from UC Irvine would help me more in terms of becoming a Game Programming and trying to find a job?

Is it worth getting an associates in Computer Programming while I'm in community college, and would it do anything for me in getting a job?

I understand the that finding a job as a game programmer is a very competitive, and also a demanding job. But I am very passionate in my goal and am willing to put the effort and time into achieving goal.

Advertisement
Welcome to the forums.

The Forum FAQ links to several different articles and discussions about the topic, just go back up to the top and click where it says "Game Industry Job Advice", then find the FAQ link on the right.

Also, consider looking over the recent threads on schools, the stickied post about game schools, and using the search button to see other, less visible discussions about game degrees versus traditional degrees.

The general consensus seems to be that it is not worth it for a games-specific degree. But if your school offers additional game-related courses they may or may not be good for you. Read all the links and recent discussions for the details.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement