🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using taken name?

Started by
20 comments, last by LennyLen 8 years, 11 months ago

I don't want to get into an argument here or derail the topic, but you quoted me talking about international trademark searches. I 100% standby what I said, it's a bad way to use your limited funds when starting a business

Yes, anyone can do an initial search for free, and if the name doesn't come up, you're good to go. But what if the name does come up, in a different industry, or a similar name comes up in the same industry? Advice from people on a forum is not good enough to make a decision on under those circumstances. And if it's the name the OP is going to use for his company, and there are legal issues down the road, then it is very important, as he's now lost brand recognition and could well also be facing legal action as well.

An IP lawyer will be able to easily tell you which names pose unacceptable risks. And considering the initial legal fees compared to those if there is trouble down the line, it's not seeking legal advice that is the irresponsible approach.

All great points, which is why I think a lot of people in this thread are saying that he should just come up with something original instead of using something that's already been taken :)

My assumption is that a lot of people on this forum are probably working within limited means. I think the prudent business decision (for most, but not all) would be to choose a name that isn't taken and allocate your funds to something impactful for your game (software, art, music, etc).

Co-Founder of GameBundle.com

GameBundle.com -Submit Your Game - Now accepting applications to have your game featured in one of our bundles.

Twitter - [twitter]GameBundle[/twitter]

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Gamebundlecom

Steam Group - http://steamcommunity.com/groups/GameBundleCom

Advertisement

All great points, which is why I think a lot of people in this thread are saying that he should just come up with something original instead of using something that's already been taken

Yes, this is by far the best thing to do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement