🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Learning to be a Designer

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 8 years, 11 months ago

What's up folks, I'm new here. I wanted to share my idea and story with you all and hopefully not drive myself insane thinking about this.

So I'm a college grad with a degree in Digital Media which is exactly what is sounds like...everything. I have a little experience in just about every digital discipline. I also love to make games, but love doesn't quite cut it -- it's very hard to imagine my future self doing something other than making games and learning about them in some way. Also, about 5 months ago I decided to quit my temp job (after months of saving; gotta be smart about your crazy decisions) to pursue game design. This has been a source of both immense stress AND joy. I volunteered for the Games for Change festival and I even made some stuff.

My degree and experience led me to a number of places, but none have put me in a game studio. In fact I'm starting a new job soon that has nothing to do with games or game design. So I went off to the internet to answer the burning question "How do I become a professional game designer?" Extra Credit's Youtube vid on the topic caught my eye and after I watched it I made a list of skills I should cultivate:

• Lit, Philosophy, Myth
  • World Religions
  • Programming
  • Art principles
  • Basic audio design
  • Practical knowledge of graphic design
  • etc.
With this list I came up with a plan: I would spend 7 days devouring a book on one of the above topics, the next 7 days planning and designing a small game on the topic, and use the last two weeks to develop that game. As soon as I came up with the plan my head flooded with questions like how does this help me achieve my goals? What exactly are my goals? Why do I want to design games? Why does anyone do anything?!
I figured out the answer to the last three pretty quickly (happiness usually or something like that), but the first question remains. This might build my portfolio but will it lead to a job? So I'm here asking you all for some feedback. What do you think of my approach to this problem? Are there ways to improve it? Is there a stronger alternative? I'd love to hear your reasoning.
Let me know.
Advertisement

1. This might build my portfolio
2. but will it lead to a job?

1. I don't see how it could NOT build a portfolio. And that is exactly what I suggest you do - build a portfolio.
2. Nobody can foretell your future for you. Where do you live (how many game companies are within daily commuting distance of where you live)?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

New York City -- there are definitely game companies around, but not like CA or WA. Its largely mobile development companies within commuting distance and it seems like the indie scene is booming with creativity over here. I'm open to moving if I had an offer.

I'm open to moving if I had an offer.

Of course, but that doesn't help. You won't get an offer if you're not local, if you're applying for an entry-level position. Read the FAQs.

http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

My degree and experience led me to a number of places, but none have put me in a game studio. In fact I'm starting a new job soon that has nothing to do with games or game design. So I went off to the internet to answer the burning question "How do I become a professional game designer? ... he first question remains. This might build my portfolio but will it lead to a job? So I'm here asking you all for some feedback. What do you think of my approach to this problem? Are there ways to improve it? Is there a stronger alternative? I'd love to hear your reasoning.

As the FAQ points out, and as repeatedly gets recited, game designer is not an entry level job title. It is a job title that usually requires 5+ years of industry experience.

There are smaller design-related jobs, like level designers, but they are relatively rare and often filled from within. Consider that a single game designer can often generate enough designs to keep a team of 30 other people (programmers, modelers, animators, effects, audio) busy. It is not unrealistic to have a team of 50 people who are working with a single lead designer and two junior designers for levels, items, and tuning.

The most reliable paths to breaking into the industry are through the engineering and art disciplines. That usually means programming, modeling, animation, concept art, and similar. They are not the only paths, just the regular full-time positions with the most openings. Another common path to breaking in that is a bit more unreliable is the QA route. Games need lots of testers and many are hired for each project, a small number sometimes stick around in other roles when the project is done.

Of course, you can keep on applying for junior developer jobs, and eventually you may land one. Just remember that it is a sought-after job because many outsiders equate it with glamour and ideas, not associating it with the actual work involved and the experience/background required to do the job effectively. If you're looking to break in, that route is certainly possible, but keep in mind that publicly-published job openings are rare and quickly saturated with applicants. It is certainly a road in, but I've listed above some different, more frequently traveled roads into the industry.

Finally, on the concept of applying to jobs by submitting your resume and portfolio through HR methods, that is the least effective job hunting strategy. Go read a copy of "What Color Is Your Parachute?" for more on that. The most effective strategy generally as well as the most effective method within our industry is to work your social contacts. Make friends with other game developers, get to know them, build them in your social circles. Then work your social network to find jobs.

Based on various studies (search my post history in the forum for citations, I'm not repeating them here) one hour working your social network for job hunting is worth roughly ten hours of blind applications through job portals and company web sites. It is still possible to find these rare jobs using those routes, it is just not very effective. Considering the scarcity of design positions you will want to do all you can to leverage the most effective job hunting methods.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement