🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Small publishers

Started by
2 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years ago

Hi there,

I would like to ask if any of you have ever worked together with a small publisher or marketing firm for handling the distribution of your indie title?

I'm thinking about putting my next title in the hands of a small publisher, because I seriously lack the necessary skills in that department, but I don't have much knowledge nor experience in this topic.

Was the collaboration fruitful, did they deliver on their promise, did working with them removed the difficulty/stress of marketing?
If you could share your thoughts and experience I think that would help a lot!

Br.

Blog | Overburdened | KREEP | Memorynth | @blindmessiah777 Magic Item Tech+30% Enhanced GameDev

Advertisement

What do you mean by small publishers?

Armor Games? Not Doppler?

What kind of platform are you targeting specifically?

What are you looking for in terms of distribution? And what game are you offering? You might find out that's it is actually very hard to pitch your game to small publishers unless you have a reputation.

Possibly, what you may be looking for at this point is a publicist/PR/Marketer and not an actual publisher firm.

What kind of platform are you targeting specifically?

Desktop PC, and as for what distribution platform, as many developers these days: Steam and/or GOG

What do you mean by small publishers?
Armor Games? Not Doppler?

A famous example, that comes to mind: Devolver Digital

What are you looking for in terms of distribution? And what game are you offering? You might find out that's it is actually very hard to pitch your game to small publishers unless you have a reputation.

Yes, I kind of figured, but I'm currently in the process of negotiations. Of course that could still end up both ways, and most probably will end not in my favor, but fingers crossed smile.png, and if it leads to a deal, I would like to be sure in my decision. For that I need more insight.

Possibly, what you may be looking for at this point is a publicist/PR/Marketer and not an actual publisher firm.

Indeed, PR/Marketing could be a better definition considering my current position and needs what I'm first and foremost looking for. Due to the target platform and digital distribution, the major role what I need to fill / outsource is PR and marketing.

So to rephrase my question and to clarify my interests:
I would like to know, if you worked with a small publicist/PR/Marketer firm in getting buzz around your game (marketing coverage, press, youtubers, etc.), or for driving enough "traffic" to your greenlight page, or to getting it to Steam or GOG? Did it work, did you find working with the team useful, did it allow you to focus less or close to none on marketing and more on development, and did they deliver on their promise?

Sorry for being, a bit too shallow for the first time.

Blog | Overburdened | KREEP | Memorynth | @blindmessiah777 Magic Item Tech+30% Enhanced GameDev

if you worked with a small publicist/PR/Marketer firm in getting buzz around your game (marketing coverage, press, youtubers, etc.), or for driving enough "traffic" to your greenlight page, or to getting it to Steam or GOG? Did it work, did you find working with the team useful, did it allow you to focus less or close to none on marketing and more on development, and did they deliver on their promise?

Speaking as a person that markets my ability to bring games to light, I would say that this depends a lot on what you are going to bring to the table, and how aware you are of it's true value. Having a realistic outlook at the product you've accomplished generally helps to lessen the gap between your expectations, and one's ability to bring sufficient KPIs your way.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement