🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Feedback to build good resume for game industr

Started by
5 comments, last by frob 9 years ago

here is my resume.

I hope to get good resume for game industry to get hire from companies.

my githup contains : competitive programming, projects and some achievements in cs departments

https://github.com/waledsaleh

thanks in advance

Advertisement

Interpreting it as I read it, as a running dialogue.

-----

Objectives are overstated.

Education, expected graduation in 2016, unless this is an internship position contact me again in a year.

skills section -- useless. As a college student you have no realistic basis for comparison.

Work experience (split across a page break -- where is your "attention to detail"?) not really communicative, you had a summer intern job. At EPIC? Oh, not that EPIC that made the Unreal Engine.

You list some project experience. FINALLY something useful. ...

Honors and awards include "participant" and "Certificate in English pronunciation".

---

Résumés and CVs are a regional thing. It looks like you are interested in Egypt, and I've got no experience in that nation. But I do have plenty of experience with US résumés.

Lots of white space above your name. Reduce it. Reduce just about everything. As an entry level worker you need a single page, not two.

Reduce the Objective to a single line if you have one at all. It is there so HR can file it under the correct job. Something like "Seeking job as entry level game programmer" is all you need. Enough that they don't mis-file you under senior game developer, or character artist, or whatever. Reduce five lines and a big divider into a single line.

Education should show projects you have done that show transferable skills. Often that means a list of topics you studied although that is minimally useful unless you had some sort of specialty. Better is to list what special projects you worked on, what tools you used, how use used them, and who you worked with. Maybe something like: * Checkers game semester project. Using Java and Swing, created a checkers game using minimax for AI. Won first place at school's review. * Distributed processing semester project. Using C++/Direct3D 9.0 GPGPU and MPI network libraries, built a parallel GPGPU that found the last digit of pi." or whatever. With your list of projects, you might be able to just refer to that, but make sure you actually refer to your academic projects. Keep it about the same size on the page, but replace white space with actual stuff you did.

Skills section is useless. Cut the entire thing. If you used a language or tool, list it with the project. Do not rate your own skills, I will assume "basic" means "I read a web page about it one time", and "good" means "I can struggle with code that eventually compiles okay."

Your work experience is short. You held a summer intern at not-the-normal-EPIC. Clean up the formatting a bit to make it clear who the employer was versus the tasks you performed. As it is the company and job title are not easily seen, and the tasks take up too much space. Have you ever held any other jobs? Include them, as they show you can hold a regular job, show up every day, and work with others. Every programmer studies algorithms and data structures, don't bother including that.

The Project Experience is by far the best thing on the sheet. I didn't bother to check the links (most potential interviewers won't either) but reading it gives me a very good idea what you have actually done with different technologies. I would remove the "Judge and Problem Solving (In Progress)" entry, but the rest looks good as is. Links to the projects if I care to find out more, and a brief statement of the language and tech used, and a link to a github account so I can find out more.

Cut the honors and awards, unless there is some specific regional thing that makes them important. In that case the only thing I think may be important is the English pronunciation certificate, if you are being asked to work with others who speak English rather than what you probably speak, Egyptian Arabic. In that case, leave those lines in, but consider cutting the rest.

---

That should give a single page that states you are looking for a job, what school you attended, what jobs you have held, and a list of six things you've developed in a format that shows what technologies you have used.

Attach a photo. More or less like the one you have on your ID, but better. The one on github might be adeguate but it's a bit too far in my opinion. Locale applies.

Use colors.

After your name, add your desired position or role, or at least an indication of what you're applying to. Sometimes you can put there your long term goal but I wouldn't suggest to do so. Habits from recruiters in Egypt might be different or not.

I'm not sure I am concerned about your objectives at all.

Layout. No chance Work Experience chapter on end of page.

In general, I see first page makes a quite inefficient use of space.

Your first 5 project experiences are... of debatable value. I made the same error some time ago. I first grouped them all and then... sent them down the drain.

I see quite some stuff on your github... what is of most interest to me? Specify one. Two. Maybe three. Don't expect people will look at them. I have published a miner for that purpose. Nobody so far looked at it but some asked me: what did you want to demonstrate with this and how does it relate to my business?

The honors are opaque to me. I think the first one would be the most important; try to locate it more accurately in time. Report the specific names of your certifications in English, including the name of the emitter.

Previously "Krohm"

In US and some other nations, attaching a photo is a bad idea due to discrimination concerns.

Depends on where you are on the globe, but some recruiters in US and UK will immediately dump the application if you include a photo.

Other HR screeners will remove photos or marital status information before passing the other details to the interviewers.

While Krohm dislikes the projects, I'd rather see that you have game related projects, even if they are not stellar. It shows you have an interest. At the entry level that is something one of the biggest signs that you are interested.

[removed]

I am improved it by all the way .

another feedback after improved , please !

thanks in advance.

My advice again:

1) CUT TO A SINGLE PAGE, preferably by cutting all those bars.

An entry level resume gets about five seconds of attention. When I first popped it up, the first few things that showed up on the screen were your name and contact info (about 1/3 of the space) followed by a giant "Objectives" section which should be reduced to a single line, it is currently about five lines of space. Then a single work project and some honors that don't impress.

If I was in HR and in any kind of hurry, I would have stopped at that point and moved along to the next file.

2) Less critical but still a common issue, cut the "skills" section. At best HR will ignore it, at worst it will be used against you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement