🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Meeting people that work on the studio I want to apply

Started by
2 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years ago

Hi,

I've read that the best way to get a job is to know someone that works on the company you want to apply to.

However, I'm not sure what's the best way to meet someone working there. I can't afford to go to a GDC or SIGGRAPH and *stalk* smile.png people there, so my only option is the internet.

I do have a few connections on LinkedIn with people working at the company I want to apply, would it be appropriate to PM them on LinkedIn and what should I say?

Thanks

Advertisement

would it be appropriate to PM them on LinkedIn and what should I say?

It's not inappropriate. Say the truth; tell what credentials, degree, experience you have and what kind of position you're interested in. Maybe ask for a referral to the best person to talk to.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I've read that the best way to get a job is to know someone that works on the company you want to apply to.

This is very true but I think you may have misunderstood this a bit. getting to know these people usually comes from working with them from somewhere else beforehand. People don't generally recommend people they just met for a job at their company because if you don't work out it looks bad on them.

If they are in the games industry look for local meetups you can find tons of these depending on where you live and will meet people from all over your area and multiple companies. These are a great way to start meeting people in the industry and get your foot in the door, show off some of your work here and you may even be noticed and you can start asking if anyone is hiring. These events are generally less formal so get to know people first.

This is very true but I think you may have misunderstood this a bit. getting to know these people usually comes from working with them from somewhere else beforehand. People don't generally recommend people they just met for a job at their company because if you don't work out it looks bad on them.

Seconded. Another thing that this means is people who sent to school together, made amateur projects together, etc. If you're going to try to befriend a stranger in the industry, you'll need to devote some time and effort to building a portfolio and really earning the stranger's respect.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement