🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Finding For-Hire Work

Started by
3 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 9 years ago

So I'm familiar with the whole process of finding work as a freelancer (I freelance a lot).

To a degree, I even have ties from which I can get some limited scope work beyond that (small projects, mostly porting, etc.)

On the other hand, my industry experience has taught me much about RFPs, trade-shows, etc.

That being said, I'm having a hard time connecting the dots between step (A) - Freelancer looking out for work, and step (B) - Business cold-calling clients for work.

Let's assume I have a team of 5-10 people ready to tackle some more serious work, how do I bring my "unknown" team into the light and get work from clients?

I realize the early contracts I'll need to go through as a team might be risky, have low profit margin (most likely, no profit at all), but I'm just not sure where I should start looking for them.

Note: For contractual reasons, I'm not allowed to pitch my services to clients I've dealt with as part of another organization (though I realize a lot of people ignore this to fastrack their startup, I'm interested in other avenues that don't go against the spirit of the contracts that I've signed).

Thoughts?

Advertisement

1. how do I bring my "unknown" team into the light and get work from clients?
2. Note: For contractual reasons, I'm not allowed to pitch my services to clients I've dealt with as part of another organization (though I realize a lot of people ignore this to fastrack their startup, I'm interested in other avenues that don't go against the spirit of the contracts that I've signed)

1. One good way is to create some demos that showcase your talents, then find a way for those to be noticed.
2. So you need to make new contacts. One good way is to come to Los Angeles for E3 next week.

Of course, 1 and 2 both cost money. That's biz. It costs money to make money.
BTW, I support the concept of adhering to the non-compete you signed with your former employer. But where is that line exactly? If you run into one of those folks by chance at E3, and they offer you work, you didn't go to them. Also, what is the status of non-competes where you live? Here in California, non-competes are not enforceable.

[small]BTW2, I see this as a business question, not a project management question. Getting projects is business - managing them is production. So I moved this to Business.[/small]

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi,

Having a good looking and nicely navigable website for much of your contact and display issues would help. Networking promotion is a regular effort. Some development companies spend a lot of money on marketing and human resourcing. If you want to advance, then you probably need to put more effort into such areas.

Once I realized these things, then work came much easier and more frequently. I am 100% freelance since 2010, by the way, so I know that it can be a good way to go.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

1. One good way is to create some demos that showcase your talents, then find a way for those to be noticed.

That makes sense. I think the part I'm struggling with is the latter: find a way to be noticed.

I don't picture myself casually showcasing a demo to someone at E3 for example.

There are local gatherings, but they're mostly indies, and most of them are focused onto their own thing (and so should they). I can't quite picture someone from Disney crashing the party.

At some point, I heard of switchpitch, but as it turns out, I don't thing anyone got business from these, so I'm still on the lookout for more events along these lines.

Also, it is a bit harder to demo my individual skills in order to front a potential team. What I do is very hard to "demo", so I feel it is easier to go through connections. I've already had some luck being referred by former clients to new prospects, but the word-of-mouth discusses my personal skillset, not the fact I'm willing to turn this into a business.

2. So you need to make new contacts. One good way is to come to Los Angeles for E3 next week.

That makes sense. My plan was to tag along the indie booths at Pax to get better acquainted with tradeshows (I have ties with some fairly successful studios, and I felt it would be an easy "in" for me to get a hold of how things work out on the field, and come with something more to say than "I'm looking for work").

Of course, 1 and 2 both cost money. That's biz. It costs money to make money.

Understandable. I think I'm halfway done piling up money for this effort so that I get some self-promotion and production budget on the line and not live from milestone to milestone in fear of not being able to pay my employees.

BTW, I support the concept of adhering to the non-compete you signed with your former employer. But where is that line exactly? If you run into one of those folks by chance at E3, and they offer you work, you didn't go to them.

Most contracts I've signed prohibited me to do business with any of the same clients, not to sollicit per se. Also, it would probably fall under clauses that specify these would deal "harm" to their organization from an economic standpoint. The reasoning here is that they invest in relationships in an effort to feed off the work that come from this. I'm not sure how "exposed" I'd truly be, but (...)

Also, what is the status of non-competes where you live? Here in California, non-competes are not enforceable.

Legally speaking, they are enforceable, but there are a few caveats. A non-compete cannot prevent you from working (as an employee) for another company. It merely restricts you from building a new business too close, or use your ties (acquired through employment) to establish business relations for another organization or your own. The latter applies directly to this situation, so I'm being extra careful, plus, it's just business ethics in my mind (though some businessmen probably might argue that "ethics" has no place in "business", but that's another story entirely).

While enforceable from a legal standpoint, very few cases ever lead to lawsuits, let aside court of law, so it's safe so say that I'm complying with these contracts mostly for my own good. The only cases I'm familiar with involves a creative director from Ubisoft and his vendetta which ultimately led to a lawsuit after he pooled his previous team to join his new employer (the quantity and quality of the individuals involved allowed them to make a case that there was measurable damage done to the organization, hence the successful lawsuit).

Having a good looking and nicely navigable website for much of your contact and display issues would help.

As a freelancer, most likely. That being said, I never had time to make myself one because I already had enough more opportunities than I could undertake. That being said, it makes sense that, in order to front a team, I'll need to have a go-to page that shows what we can do. Most likely, as a team, we may need to showcase a self-financed project to display our experience as a team.

Some development companies spend a lot of money on marketing and human resourcing. If you want to advance, then you probably need to put more effort into such areas.

I'm fine spending money, I just don't want to be throwing money at things without knowing what I should be doing about them. Marketing is fairly broad, and I don't believe that google adsense is going to get the viewers I need, so I'm assuming I need to "front myself and my team" more at events as per the above suggestions. The cost for this is mostly transportation and tickets (or I could hire someone that is already local and attends regularly to do PR on my behalf).

What did you mean about spending towards human resources? Fielding a team is something I can already do (I have several industry veterans that keep on bugging me for a job actually, but I'm not there yet). What particular talent do you think I would require? A PR expert?

Once I realized these things, then work came much easier and more frequently. I am 100% freelance since 2010, by the way, so I know that it can be a good way to go.

I could be 100% freelance, but that's not my goal. I maintain a contractual job from studio-to-studio to keep a steady income, and fuel my soon-to-be business through extra hours freelancing. I realize that the first form of my LLC will likely be me fulltime plus contracting freelancers (as I already do from time to time when required and to have more experience dealing first-hand with freelancers) and that it will be a while before I can get a full team of 10 full-time employees on the payroll, but this is what I'm trying to plan for as I believe I'm relatively acquainted with the solo + freelancers model so far.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback!

These days, human resources can include acquaintances, consultants, outsourcing tasks, and social networking budgets and time. Yeah, I understand that you are very busy, but when you find reliable help in your team, then much of that can be delegated. Here is where your leadership and strategic thinking skills make a big difference long term. All of these things I do. For example, if I am too busy to spend much time on a particular project because I am involved in something else, then I outsource at least some of the work.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement