🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

-snip-

Started by
26 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 9 years ago

-snip-

Advertisement
There's minimal harm in applying, and nothing in particular that tells you yes or no until you try it. I certainly wouldn't plan around getting in, but meh? There are easily dozens of other great, world class computer science programs out there. MIT is a big name but that doesn't even mean they are a good fit for you.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

I got 15.7/20

Having a 3.2 GPA in the US is not considered very good.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Anything is possible, but absolutely nothing can happen if you don't even try to make it happen.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You will never know if you do not apply. There is no harm in it. If you do plan on attending MIT though I would try and get your GPA as close to a 4.0 as possible.

MIT is one of the best schools for Computer Science in North America among other things so there are a lot of brilliant people applying there which means you are applying against them and there are only so many student slots per year.

Since your only 16 I think you have a few years to get your grades up.

I'm not sure if you know this but MIT also offers all their coursework for free as well as lectures and notes from classes. You can even take their tests. I know this doesn't really help because it doesn't get you a degree but its cool thing to look at and see the kinda things you would be learning and what kind of stuff they expect you to know before you apply.

Schools in North America require you to be competent in the English language and if you are foreign you usually have to take a language test as well.

Ivy league admissions today are more about your 'story' than about grades and test scores. So I would not discount the possibility you can get in before you trye.

This is my thread. There are many threads like it, but this one is mine.

Thanks for all the answer!

@Promit I guess so, but let's say, I really liked what I read smile.png . Anyway, I think I'll just have to actually do something the next years.

@Code Fox Aww, damn it sad.png. Well I hope I can raise it next year by working a bit more. What GPA is considered good? (And is this site (http://www.foreigncredits.com/Resources/Grade-Conversion/) reliable on it's conversions?) And are only the GPAs of the "normal" grades" considered or also those of the bacalaureates? ... And do I get something from doing international bacalaureates or is this completely useless?

@Tom Sloper Yeah, I will really need to work on my grades next year. I'm living pretty well in a pretty wealthy family, in a pretty wealthy region, around pretty wealthy people, so I was kind of "protected" from the "outside" in my "bubble" for my whole lifetime. Also a few years ago I easily got really really good GPAs without working a bit, so I kept on doing so and ended up dropping...

@DerekL Wow, all the material being free is kind of cool blink.png

@thatguyfromthething Thing is I'm probably the most boring guy ever. I listed pretty much all my hobbies above, and I only have two of them... I also never had to really work hard to achieve or get something (Even when I was sick for a year I didn't get any drawbacks from it - Not in school, not in my social life, nowhere.), so there isn't happening much.

Also, would anyone mind explaining the US's high school system to me? I heard so much about "AP Classes" and all that stuff, and wondered if it also exists in France? At least I never had any options to take any "extra courses" in my high school, and the "normal" courses are all imposed. You can't really choose yourself (Next year we're going to specify our path a bit though, since everyone has to choose either the scientific, "business"-like, or literature path. But it only changes the amount of certain hours, and doesn't really removes them.)

Kind regards

Also, would anyone mind explaining the US's high school system to me? I heard so much about "AP Classes" and all that stuff, and wondered if it also exists in France? At least I never had any options to take any "extra courses" in my high school, and the "normal" courses are all imposed. You can't really choose yourself (Next year we're going to specify our path a bit though, since everyone has to choose either the scientific, "business"-like, or literature path. But it only changes the amount of certain hours, and doesn't really removes them.)

AP stands for advance placement. It's pretty much just an advanced version of the course for people that understand the material better and are ahead of the normal class. The AP classes that are available depend on the school and the amount of students there that can take it. Some schools also offer college classes for early college credits, sometimes in the school and sometimes you go to a college class a few times a week at the actual college.

When I was in highschool our school offered AP classes for English, math, chemistry and physcis.

Also here is a link for MIT's open course stuff.

http://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

@Code Fox Aww, damn it sad.png. Well I hope I can raise it next year by working a bit more. What GPA is considered good?

I should have clarified that a GPA ( equivalent ) of 3.2 is not considered that good for "higher end" schools were there is fierce competition for admittance ( such as MIT ) .

A 3.2 can get you into most normal colleges here in the US, but there is no harm in applying to MIT to see what happens .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement