🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trying to find a job

Started by
4 comments, last by conquestor3 9 years ago
So I want to be an indie game developer. I stubbornly want to learn to, make, and make money from indie games. I am a decent programmer in Python, I just started learning some C# and I was going to college, majoring in Computer Science. I did 1 mediocre year and didn't even get to the actual computer classes because there are so many prerequisites which were strictly required despite my SAT scores exempting me from them. I am basically just starting off but I am stubbornly optimistic about being able to someday soon publish a game and start making some sort of money from it. I now have a year that I haven't been going to college, I sort of don't plan on going back and if I do I might change the major to business because I have been learning programming on my own by reading books. I also study into investing as a on and off hobby (that's the type of business I'm interested in). I know that it will take some time before I can start making commercial games, I just need a job to sustain me for now. I can't seem to think of anything to do, I am starting out in the workforce and I don't have a set category I want to fall under, I really don't care much for the type of job as long as it's decent and pays. Then it hit me, I wonder if there is some sort of job or something I can do which would serve as experience for my agenda. Is there anything out there for a programmer just starting off? I doubt it, im probably wasting my time writing this because the world always expects people to have prior experience for everything.
Advertisement

1. I can't seem to think of anything to do, I am starting out in the workforce and I don't have a set category I want to fall under, I really don't care much [about] the type of job as long as it's decent and pays.
2. Then it hit me, I wonder if there is some sort of job or something I can do which would serve as experience for my agenda. Is there anything out there for a programmer just starting off?
3. I doubt it,
4. im probably wasting my time writing this
5. because the world always expects people to have prior experience for everything.

1. This is a problem. You need to search your soul, analyze your abilities, and come up with a direction for yourself.
2. You mean for someone who did a half-assed job at college and didn't finish a degree and is teaching himself C#?
3. I doubt it too.
4. But your time is not worth much. You're already wasting it by not finishing your degree and by posting on game development forums instead of focusing your energies productively.
5. There certainly are entry-level jobs in many fields. Your negative attitude is part of your problem; "I'm [excuse me; I meant to say "im"] not going to get hired, so why bother applying." If you loll around thinking negative thoughts and don't TRY, of course you're not going to get hired. Even fast food companies want people with positive attitudes.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I did 1 mediocre year and didn't even get to the actual computer classes because there are so many prerequisites which were strictly required despite my SAT scores exempting me from them... I now have a year that I haven't been going to college, I sort of don't plan on going back and if I do I might change the major to business because I have been learning programming on my own by reading books.

This is a bad attitude. Fortunately, (maybe) it's the attitude of just about everybody who starts a computer science degree, the idea that they know better or should be exempt from some things. The sooner you disabuse yourself of this notion the better; if you don't, life is going to crush your soul in short order.

Computer science is not about programming, and there is incredibly useful information in most of those classes. Even if there isn't, the act of getting through those classes even though you might feel (justifiably or not) that they are pointless busywork is itself a useful skill. You will need to do precisely the same thing in the real world.

That said, a business degree would not be a terrible course of action, as it will also teach you useful stuff about things it sounds like you might want to do (run a business yourself). Going back to finish either of those degrees would be a good course of action. Not going back at all, probably less so: you are exposing yourself to significant risk in finding a job if working for yourself does not pan out.

I know that it will take some time before I can start making commercial games

It doesn't, really. If you can make a game now, you can make a commercial game now.

Then it hit me, I wonder if there is some sort of job or something I can do which would serve as experience for my agenda. Is there anything out there for a programmer just starting off?

Quite unlikely. The fact that you don't have a computer science or similar degree is going to make you very low on the list of potential candidates in today's job market, which is filled to bursting with fresh college graduates ready to take on entry-level jobs.

im probably wasting my time writing this because the world always expects people to have prior experience for everything.

This is common lament, but it's not that accurate. Nobody sane expects prior industry experience for entry-level jobs. That's what an entry-level job is. Some studios don't hire entry-level programmers, for one reason or another, but most do. And many don't advertise such positions aggressively because they get enough people applying for more senior positions or unsolicited that can be funneled in to an interview pipe for an entry-level position instead.

But if you don't care about the job, there's plenty of possible options. You could work at a GameStop or similar game retailer, for example. I feel like that would be better than a generic fast food job since at least it's related to something you're interested in.

Thank you for the feedback, seems Tom didn't take much liking to my neanderthal-like writing skills though, and it's cool, I wrote this on my phone and I still appreciate you're time to basically tell me I suck and shouldn't expect anything because I suck, Tom. Ima take the replies and decide what to do. Again, thank you.

If you want to make games, and learn how to make them properly go get your computer science degree and then spend 10 years in the field. Then try and start your own company at this point you will have the experience necessary to know what to do and what not to do and how the industry works. Writing code is easy, writing good code is hard.

I know its hard to grasp for a lot of people but it takes a lot of work to put out a game and then on top of that to make money from it. The first is easier than the latter.

If you don't wan't to go back for your CS degree and want to go towards a business degree go for it. You can still get into the game industry this way you just most likely wont be coding, but there are tons of producer/management positions at game companies.

Speaking from experience, a business degree will have much more busywork than a CS degree.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement