🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I find it hard to find new games

Started by
17 comments, last by Deflinek 9 years ago

Hey Gamedevs and Gamers! smile.png

I decided to register on this forum page to find out if there are people struggling with the same problem that I am. What I personally have noticed is that, no matter when I go to Steam / Apple store I find same games over and over again. They keep recommending / showing me same games that they have shown for past 4-6 months.

[LINK REMOVED]

Here are a few things I want to find out about and would be glad if you could answer my questions smile.png

So, if you are a gamer then how do you find out about cool indie games? Any favorite sites you use, or just word of mouth? What cool games have you discovered’?

For me it takes a while until I find something that I enjoy playing. I have been stuck playing one game now for past 5 months because I can’t find something that would make me want to play it. Also because it is not that easy to find a game that I would like. This is why I don’t search for games that often but how often you search for new games? once a week, once a month or play games that are trending on media? I found the game that I am playing now for past 5 months from forum posts and it took me very long to find it. I was just daily trying out different games until I found something I liked.

Do you easily find what you like or do you have to spend a lot of time to find it just liked for me.

If you are a developer then how and where do you promote your game? It would be interesting to know how you guys do it and if it Is easy to increase your fanbase before launching or after release?

I would appreciate if you could leave a comment and let me know your opinions of this topic and if there is anything you would like to add or discuss, I’d gladly participate in this conversation!

Intern @SharkPunchHQ
Working on www.Playfield.io which is game discovery platform for gamers and developers! :)

Advertisement

I removed the link from your post, as it's generally considered spammy to link to a website for your own workplace in your first post immediately after registering.

If the discussion goes well and you're genuinely here to discuss the topic with people you might consider mentioning your workplace's website at a later stage.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Sure no problem! I just thought to mention to show that I'm not completely new to this thing. Since I've been struggling with this problem for a while now and would love to hear what others think about it

Intern @SharkPunchHQ
Working on www.Playfield.io which is game discovery platform for gamers and developers! :)

as a hard core gamer (as well as a game developer), i struggle with the same problem. day after day, year after year, i find myself playing the same titles over and over, because i cant find anything better.

for me, those games are a RPG, a sub sim, and a wargame: elder scrolls, silent hunter, and total war. there are things about each i dont like, but cant find anything better.

i also used to play city simulators, but simcity3 was a letdown, and the Caesar series is no more.

flight sims are another one i cant find anything good (and current).

carribean (a pirate rpg) has caught my eye, but looks like it ended up being shovelware (they didnt finish it, just shoveled it out the door). i was hoping i wouldn't have to make a pirate rpg, and could just buy and play one. i was hoping carribean would let me do that. but thats ok, last night i got my 100 animated skinned meshes onscreen at once test going, and got skinned mesh LOD going too. so that pirate rpg idea of mine with 100+ combatants in real time boarding action combat is no longer a dream. i could build it today.

mech sims is another one. i was a big fan of the metaltech battledrome series by dynamix (not mechwarrior, the other guys. mechwarrior was the action game, battledrome was the hard core sim).

or anything to replace red barrron II. or x wing, or tie fighter, or falcon 4.0 gold edition. the list goes on and on.

some games i have taken a hard look at: mount and blade: warband - i'll probably give this a try. GTA4 - something different, never actually played GTA myself, though all my friends do. but DRM for PC version from steam is an issue, so i passed on that.

sometimes i'll spend a whole evening looking for a new game , instead of playing skyrim yet again.

and the saddest part of all... look at what you find when you go look for a game. 90% of it is all the same crap.

So, if you are a gamer then how do you find out about cool indie games? Any favorite sites you use, or just word of mouth? What cool games have you discovered’?

search the web, and the usual online outlets. perhaps a little word or mouth, i've hard good things about witcher3, and the battlefield and uncharted series on consoles. i didn't have the heart to tell my console buddies that battlefield started out as a hard core mission based WW2 FPS. they just think its yet another cool cops and robbers title like GTA or Juarez.

as for what i've discovered, not much. first: cool is subjective - opinion, not fact. so one person's "cool" game might be next person's "stupid", "boring", "childish", "too easy" or "too hard" game.

right now, we're in a very "me too" time in the game market. low cost development tools and a plethora of devices to develop for leads to a lot of new entries into the field. unfortunately, most are just building yet-another-tower-defense game. someone made money on angry birds? me too! i want to do that too! let's make yet-another-angry-birds clone!

eventually, the uninspired copycats will realize they can't reproduce the fad success of angry birds (or tetris back in the day), and will stop flooding the market with clones. at the same time, original works with true merit will start to slowly rise to the top - stuff like minecraft, kerbal space program, etc. so its not all bad news. but like anything, you have to sift through 99.9% junk to get the 0.1% good stuff. and yes, i'd say its close a 1000 to 1 ratio of crap to quality titles out there right now.

If you are a developer then how and where do you promote your game?

in the past: free playable demos on bbs's and AOL. posting demo links to every game site you can. i've also gotten free tv coverage on the evening news and a top 10 DL on AOL, both of which are the type of PR you simply cannot buy.

this time around, i'll probably use the same basic marketing strategy. but the number of game sites (such as gamespot, ign, etc) has gone down, and the number of online game stores has gone up. not quite sure why, but i get a bad vibe from GOG and Steam and such. they will require serious thought before i decide to use them as marketing tool / channel.

and if it Is easy to increase your fanbase before launching or after release?

the idea is to create demand for the product that pulls it through the channel, not spend cubic dollars trying to push it though the channel. fanbase is at most perhaps an indirect indicator of how successful you are at this. probably its greatest value is as a source of info as to how well your design works in the field, and what changes need to be made in the next design-implement-deploy-fieldtest cycle.

Norm Barrows

Rockland Software Productions

"Building PC games since 1989"

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

http://rocklandsoftware.net/beta.php

One thing I always do is look at all the fnalists from each Indie Game Festival.

http://www.igf.com/02finalists.html

There are usually some good ones there. I keep my eye on the Humble Bundle and grab them when they are available. https://www.humblebundle.com/

I also surf around http://www.indiedb.com/ and http://www.gog.com/

But it's still hard to find games you like. Lately, I've enjoyed Paper's Please, Steam World Dig, OliOli, Legend of Grimrock, Desktop Dungeons, and Amnesia: the dark decent.

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

I've enjoyed Paper's Please

another one that seems to be rising to the top.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

Also don't forget to check out the community -> announcements on this forum/ site.
I personally use journals (search for BooH :)) to tell people how my game is brought to life and the journey I'm going through. I find this a nice way with a bonus to show your game to the public and also get input from your potential target group.

Regarding searching for indie games, I check out the announcements page once a while. But to be honest, my dream is aimed pretty high and I mainly play AAA titles, to give me extra motivation and ideas for my own game(s). But that's just me, I'm not aiming of becoming a succesful indie developer perse, just want to create stuff I want to see some to life and try to become a producer for "big" titles.

Crealysm game & engine development: http://www.crealysm.com

Looking for a passionate, disciplined and structured producer? PM me

Youtubers and Let's Plays are one of my biggest sources for finding games recently. I tend to watch people play games I like so when they play other games theres a good chance Ill like them too.

Youtubers and Let's Plays are one of my biggest sources for finding games recently.

yes, that's one of the newer marketing methods that i definitely DO plan to use in the future.

Norm Barrows

rocklandsoftware.net

PLAY CAVEMAN NOW!

Regarding the finding of interesting games, I think that YouTube and other online video sources, and in particular Let's Plays, First Impressions, and gaming news videos, are probably my main sources of information these days. I think that I do also occasionally discover games simply by virtue of their being released on GOG (which has become my main digital distribution store).

not quite sure why, but i get a bad vibe from GOG and Steam and such. they will require serious thought before i decide to use them as marketing tool / channel.

I'm interested that you feel that way about GOG in particular--my impression of it has been very positive. Should I manage to get a project to the point at which I feel that it's saleable, I imagine that GOG is probably going to be the very first distribution channel that I approach.

You do mention GOG and Steam as marketing channels, however--how would one market on either, and am I correct in taking it then that you're wary of selling via them, too? Or are you referring to selling in the above-quoted sentence?

That said, I do confess that I don't have much information on how GOG treats developers or publishers; my experience of it is primarily as a customer--my feelings on selling or marketing through them should thus perhaps be taken with a grain of salt.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Twitter Account: @EbornIan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement