🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Make money from my game

Started by
9 comments, last by workaround 8 years, 11 months ago

so i have a game prepared and i want to know:

how can i make money from it??

any suggestions???

Advertisement

You can either sell the game, or you can release it as free to play and use micro transactions or advertisement to generate income. You can also release it for free and ask for donations.

so i have a game prepared and i want to know:
how can i make money from it??

You have not asked a Job Advice question. Moving this to Business.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

You can either sell the game, or you can release it as free to play and use micro transactions or advertisement to generate income. You can also release it for free and ask for donations.

There is also a fourth option, release a version for free that is limited in some way, and ask users to pay to unlock the full experience.

Remember this if you're going down the free-to-play route.

Successful F2P titles actually were specifically designed for the system in mind. You have a finished game and if you haven't designed it to work with F2P, it won't work with F2P.

Most likely, you designed the game with the traditional system in mind. If so, I'd suggest the pay-once system.

Can only makes guesses because I haven't seen your game.

Here is a great read about marketing your game and getting downloads.

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-marketing-guide-for-game-developers/

You can also use, 'pay what you want', pretty much the same as donations in a sense.

So,

1. Retail sales (don't really know anything about this but apparently you don't make much money and can run into many issues, also your really not going to find a publisher/shop to publish/sell your game unless it's AA/AAA).

2. Freemium - includes, pay-to-play, free-to-play, pay-what-you-want. You can use micro transactions in game to upgrade things like weapons or vehicles, or you can have a time delay such as in Clash of Clans where you pay to speed to the upgrading of areas in the game instead of waiting hours or days. Many more options here such as unlocking new levels.

You can have a subscription model where users pay so much per month for example.

In game advertisements, you make money every time an ad is clicked, you will need a lot of clicks to generate any kind of money however.
Start looking at services that will sell it for you and promote it, while taking a cut from each sale.

Examples are steam (via greenlight) desura and gog.com.

Each has their own positives and negatives, research carefully.

By the way usually there's no reason you can't be on multiple sales platforms at once. Read the terms and conditions carefully.

Good luck!

You can have a subscription model where users pay so much per month for example.

While this is true I would not recommend it as even large companies are shying away from this as its hard to get players to pay monthly for games because it then becomes a commitment to play.

Start looking at services that will sell it for you and promote it, while taking a cut from each sale.

Examples are steam (via greenlight) desura and gog.com.

I would advise caution with going for desura right now, Check out this thread for details http://www.gamedev.net/topic/665223-desura-is-not-paying-me-my-money/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement