🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to go from here?

Started by
17 comments, last by TwistedMind 9 years ago

Hi everyone

Allow me to explain, for you to make sense of the topic title.

I don't know exactly how a game design document looks like, but it is my understanding this can vary (if I am wrong let me know),

with that said I have my own way of writing game ideas/concepts down (terrible addicted to using Notepad).

Many of the documents are 20% to 70% done, where I continously work on them when needed (this is arbitrary).

I have atm of writing 11 digital documents, and some more on paper I want to make digital to have everything in one spot.

I have additional documents for board/card games, where 3 of them are digital. These are in some way more 'complete'

and I mention them because I find the process in game design to be much of the same for the two types.

Where do I go from here?

...No one really benefits from my personal library of ideas/concepts this way,

and before you start suggestion education, this is not a viable option due to my financial situation.

We only have the power to change the future, not the past. That's why we should learn from our mistakes, and be given the change to show we have learned from them.

Advertisement

1. Where do I go from here?
2. ...No one really benefits from my personal library of ideas/concepts this way,
and before you start suggestion education, this is not a viable option due to my financial situation.

1. That depends on where you want to wind up. We cannot know where you want to wind up, so we can't tell you where to go from where you are. We also can't advise you without knowing more information:
a. How old are you?
b. What level of education have you completed?
c. Which game job, assuming that's why you posted here in the Job Advice board, are you aspiring to, or if you aren't looking for a game job, what is it you want to accomplish?
d. It might also be helpful to know what country you live in.
2. What do you mean, nobody benefits from your concepts? What kind of benefit are you hoping to achieve? Your goal is unclear.

I don't know exactly how a game design document looks like

You can look at some examples. Go to the Game Design forum, check the FAQs there, and just Google "example game design documents." I have links to some online examples on my site, at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

1. Where do I go from here?
2. ...No one really benefits from my personal library of ideas/concepts this way,

1. That depends on where you want to wind up. We cannot know where you want to wind up, so we can't tell you where to go from where you are. We also can't advise you without knowing more information:
a. How old are you?
b. What level of education have you completed?
c. Which game job, assuming that's why you posted here in the Job Advice board, are you aspiring to, or if you aren't looking for a game job, what is it you want to accomplish?
d. It might also be helpful to know what country you live in.
2. What do you mean, nobody benefits from your concepts? What kind of benefit are you hoping to achieve? Your goal is unclear.

I don't know exactly how a game design document looks like

You can look at some examples. Go to the Game Design forum, check the FAQs there, and just Google "example game design documents." I have links to some online examples on my site, at http://www.sloperama.com/advice/specs.htm

I will be answering in what I call short form:

1a) 35, which I know might make things super hard or impossible in some peoples eyes.

1b) 10th grade.

1c) Game Designer.

1d) Denmark.

2) Yeah this can be rather arbitrary depending on peoples opinions, I probably should have left that out.

Following your link and skimming through it, I can definatedly tell it's not exactly a GDD I am doing with my documents.

My next guess is they could be called game techincal documents as they decribe a lot about the game mechanics, but

not really describing other things like GUI and Screens(like menu).

Something you might like to know is why I do it, and like doing what I have done this far:

It's because I like the feeling it gives me to be creative in the way it is needed to make these documents,

and is why I do other types of writing as well, involving being creative. Now thinking I am a creative writer

would be as far from the truth as possible, since it's not creative story writing which gives me my 'adrenaline kick'.

We only have the power to change the future, not the past. That's why we should learn from our mistakes, and be given the change to show we have learned from them.

Your goal and situation are much clearer now. It's difficult to get the job of Game Designer without extensive game industry experience. A portfolio of amateur designs will probably not get you there. You could try getting into the industry in some other role, and you could try finding no-pay or low-pay indie work to get your feet wet. The industry doesn't have a need for people who just come up with ideas. You should read this forum's FAQs; scroll up and click the forum's name (Game Industry Job Advice), then click the FAQs link at the right side.
Good luck!

Your goal and situation are much clearer now. It's difficult to get the job of Game Designer without extensive game industry experience. A portfolio of amateur designs will probably not get you there. You could try getting into the industry in some other role, and you could try finding no-pay or low-pay indie work to get your feet wet. The industry doesn't have a need for people who just come up with ideas. You should read this forum's FAQs; scroll up and click the forum's name (Game Industry Job Advice), then click the FAQs link at the right side.
Good luck!

The answer I exspected, but hoped not to get.

I guess I have to keep just developing games 'in theory'/'on paper'. :-)

The answer I exspected, but hoped not to get. I guess I have to keep just developing games 'in theory'/'on paper'. :-)

No, you do not. Go read the FAQ as suggested.

"Game Designer" is not an entry level job. However, there are other job titles that ARE entry level jobs.

There are lots of other job titles out there like "Development Director", or "Art Director" or "Chief Technology Officer". Those are also not entry level jobs, but that is a job title you want you don't give up just because the destination is not also the origin. Enter the field where you can, then move around over time into the field you want.

Those 'breaking in' types of jobs are in low supply and high demand. You need to be in the right place at the right time and have a little luck, but with a little effort you can arrange to have both right place and the right time taken care of, and if you are careful to build up industry contacts at your chosen company, you can remove most of the luck aspect as well.

and if you are careful to build up industry contacts at your chosen company, you can remove most of the luck aspect as well.

Yes. TwistedMind (by the way, that is not a good moniker - it does not create a positive impression of you), you can start now to network with other Danish game developers. There are networking tips in the FAQs.

and if you are careful to build up industry contacts at your chosen company, you can remove most of the luck aspect as well.

Yes. TwistedMind (by the way, that is not a good moniker - it does not create a positive impression of you), you can start now to network with other Danish game developers. There are networking tips in the FAQs.

I am actually trying to network with other game developers, though none in Denmark.

frob --> thank you for your input, and it's the last part you describe which is the tricky bit.

I am actually trying to network with other game developers, though none in Denmark.

"Trying," hmm? So you're not really networking, if you're "trying" with people who are not local to you. I don't think you know what networking really is.

And it makes no sense not to look for opportunities where you live. Location is everything.

"Trying," hmm? So you're not really networking, if you're "trying" with people who are not local to you. I don't think you know what networking really is.

And it makes no sense not to look for opportunities where you live. Location is everything.

If it's not the same as creating/expanding a network, No I don't know apparently.

If by opportunities you mean job opportunities, then I don't care where it is, I am willing to relocate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement