🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Advice for aspiring gameplay programmer

Started by
4 comments, last by FattyGamer 9 years, 1 month ago

Hi all,

I have been trying to break into the industry for couple of years now (had a series of failed interviews)

I have been reviewing my mistakes and looking at ways to improve myself.

My Goal : I hope to become a Gameplay/Generalist programmer.

I know completing games is crucial and I have a couple of completed student game projects (C++ custom engines)

My question is what should I work on now to further improve my portfolio and hone my skills ?

Here are some of my choices:

A) Resume work on my custom C++ engine (it has basic openGL renderering and basic component system architecture) and make a game from it. It will take some time for my engine to be ready for proper serious gameplay programming and actually implementing game features

B) Use Unreal Engine 4, I have been considering this option quite a bit. It allows me to brush up my C++ skills and focus purely on gameplay programming.

C) Use Unity. I use Unity at work and I love it very much, but using C# has made my C++ really rusty. I think that attributed to my failed interviews.

Note: Based on the interviews I had so far, it is obvious nobody cares about which engines you used before, and the interview tests often revovles around basic game implementation techniques, fundamental C++ and computer science knowledge like memory management.

So if an applicant focus on using commercial engines for personal projects, they might not be well versed in basic game implementation techniques. For example, topics like memory management, collision tests, raycasting, framework architecture are techniques which will be used and exposed to only if the applicant build a custom game engine.

So my question is really, to become an entry gameplay programmer, and to prepare my skills, should I use a custom game engine or commercial game engine which allows me focus heavily on gameplay aspects (camera control, player control, gameplay features, AI etc etc) ?

Thank you in advance!

Advertisement

I prefer to start with a C++ Personal Game engine, IT WILL TEACH YOU A LOT, from C++ prespective
Then focus on creating multiple demos, whether with that engine or with UE4/CryENGINE (because they're C++)
Also make like a small game via Unity (C#)

The knowledge/experience you gain from these, en sha2 Allah, will make you ace the interviews with ease :)

what should I work on now to further improve my portfolio and hone my skills ?
Here are some of my choices:
A) Resume work on my custom C++ engine [blah blah blah, unnecessary information]
B) Use Unreal Engine 4, [blah blah blah]
C) Use Unity. [blah blah blah]
Note: Based on the interviews I had so far, it is obvious nobody cares about which engines you used before, [so why do choices A, B, and C even exist in the first place??]
[unnecessary paragraph deleted]
So my question is really, to become an entry gameplay programmer, and to prepare my skills, should I use a custom game engine or commercial game engine [blah blah blah]

Sorry for all that. My point is, you could have saved us a lot of reading by simply stating your "real" question. Let's boil it down. The only reason why your custom engine could be of interest to someone would be: (a) if they are dissatisfied with all available engines and are looking for someone to create a custom engine, or (b) if they are dissatisfied with all available engines and are looking for a custom engine to buy.

A: So you're saying "I'm a custom engine guy, hire me"
B: So you're saying "I have a custom engine in progress, fund its completion and buy it."

Neither of those is necessarily what companies are looking for. If you really want to just improve your portfolio and hone your skills, make games. Make games with your own engine (yes) and also make games with other engines (yes). In other words: "all of the above."

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Hi Thank you for the reply,

Apologies for the lengthy post, I am just trying to find out what do game studios really look out for hiring entry gameplay programmers

Tom, I agree that I should just use any engines to make games, but for example, if I use Unity to make my games, I will be dealing mostly with high level gameplay implementations and C#. How will that improve my chances and skills of being hired as a C++ gameplay programmer ?

I will be rusty in c++ and probably struggle at the low level game implementation techniques kind of questions.

If you just want completed games on your resume faster, then use a pre written engine. With planning you should be able to fill your portfolio with games in a year with effective time management and small ideas.
It might take you all year to finish your engine and release one game.

Thank you for all the advice

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement