🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is Xbox360 live arcade development still worth it?

Started by
8 comments, last by DanglinBob 9 years, 1 month ago

So I recently started playing around with C# and Monogame. The question I have is pretty simple, would it be worth it to work on releasing a game for the xbox360 live arcade? Worth while as in, would there be a large enough demographic that still plays indie games on live arcade to release a game to that as opposed to another platform?

Thanks,

Stein102

Advertisement

I want to say yes it is worth it due to the experience gained from it.

I would say that the answer depends on how long you expect your development cycle to take.

If you were to release it today, it would probably be worth it. If development is going to take 2 years then it probably wouldn't be worth it.

The audience for xblig was never huge anyway.

Microsoft were put under pressure by AAA studios to give big releases priority positions in the search results, basically making indie games second class citizens in the arcade store.

Considering AAA studios might pay a lot for licensing to release games on physical dvds in brick and mortar stores for xbox, and xblig published games paid $99 a year it's easy to see why they might have got a bit miffed.

As more and more move from 360 to xbox one, the audience will continue to decrease, I wouldn't bother with it if I were you and stay tuned for an xbox one equivalent.

The audience for xblig was never huge anyway.

Microsoft were put under pressure by AAA studios to give big releases priority positions in the search results, basically making indie games second class citizens in the arcade store.

Considering AAA studios might pay a lot for licensing to release games on physical dvds in brick and mortar stores for xbox, and xblig published games paid $99 a year it's easy to see why they might have got a bit miffed.

As more and more move from 360 to xbox one, the audience will continue to decrease, I wouldn't bother with it if I were you and stay tuned for an xbox one equivalent.

You can change that might to AAA studios pay a license fee to MS and Sony to release on the consoles, there is no might about that fact.

I have a feeling the XBox One equivalent will just be the strore like it is on Windows now.

Worked on titles: CMR:DiRT2, DiRT 3, DiRT: Showdown, GRID 2, theHunter, theHunter: Primal, Mad Max, Watch Dogs: Legion

I have a feeling the XBox One equivalent will just be the strore like it is on Windows now.

Yes, when the Xbox One gets Windows 10 there will be a unified Windows store and development platform.

https://dev.windows.com/en-US/games

Yes, when the Xbox One gets Windows 10 there will be a unified Windows store and development platform.

This actually makes me really excited to be writing a windows game in DirectX right now and to have thrown away the xna requirement for my game :)

This actually makes me really excited to be writing a windows game in DirectX right now and to have thrown away the xna requirement for my game smile.png

I am right there with you :)

So I recently started playing around with C# and Monogame. The question I have is pretty simple, would it be worth it to work on releasing a game for the xbox360 live arcade? Worth while as in, would there be a large enough demographic that still plays indie games on live arcade to release a game to that as opposed to another platform?

"Worth it" (business) question. Not a For Beginners ("what engine/language should I learn"/"how do I fix this beginner problem") question. Moving to Business.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Sadly MS really dropped the ball on their Live Arcade platform. If its already done, go ahead and publish... but otherwise, forget it. Sony is doing a much better job supporting indie devs these days. Better but not fantastic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement