🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm having trouble attracting contributors to my project as it gets older

Started by
23 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 1 month ago

It looks as if the project needs a reboot.

Not a partial reboot, a complete reboot. A completely new life.

I see that the last update was 5 years ago, and that's a damn long time ago! smile.png

When most of us sees that, we've already moved on.

I don't think the genre is a problem. JRPG?

It doesn't matter as long as the idea is great.

But, how much of the original idea is left?

The homepage of the project does not give a clear picture of what the idea is/was.

And it really needs to hammer it home if it is to stand a change of attracting other people (with the same vision/dream).

Too many projects; too much time

Advertisement

Didn't read all the responses since I didn't want to spend a lot of time on this topic:

People that have experience, simply don't like joining projects . We all started trying to make projects at the start and they always fail. As you grow you realize it is hard to actually find the right people to work together for no pay and with good experience. This is why new projects are usually a few guys who know each other that decide to go full-time to work on a game project / new company.

I would look at what it will take to get to the finish line. Put a spreadsheet of everything you can think of and put hour estimates and add them up. See how much time you work in a week etc. It is something that sounds like you don't have and are just aiming at random goals, there has to be structure in the project.

I didn't get to click the link since my work blocks game websites, but I'm assuming the quality isn't enough to get a kickstarter/donations page...? After 4 years if you don't have at least half the game done, then I would suggest letting it die. It relieves a lot to just let it go and start fresh. I've done it many times.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims

I remember reading about heros of allacrost years ago (I even downloaded a demo at one point) and it looked prommissing but, so did dozens of other projects that have been recruiting on various discussion boards in the past. The thing is the majority of them do not get finished.

I don't actually see what the end goal of the project is.
Is it to create an RPG or is it to create a tool for creating an RPG?

The project was started 10 years ago with a handful of developers but, nowadays with modern frameworks the same results could be created in less than a year so why would anybody be compelled to join?
Things have changed now indie development works differently and a lot more games get finished and a lot of them are one man teams.

I think you should just stick the project up on github in the hopes that somebody else will fork it and do something creative with it. As for you, start a smaller project that you can do yourself in a shorter space of time (days not years). Or just keep this as a long time personal project that will never be finished.

People that have experience, simply don't like joining projects

I partially agree. I think people with experience will only join a project if they knew the crew already in charge will deliver. More often than not, this means having worked together within the industry (most successful indie teams I know started as workmates).

The project was started 10 years ago with a handful of developers but, nowadays with modern frameworks the same results could be created in less than a year so why would anybody be compelled to join?
Things have changed now indie development works differently and a lot more games get finished and a lot of them are one man teams.

I have to agree with this. There's nothing currently visible in Hero of Allacrost that would justify time spent if perhaps poor management and re-re-re-design.

Realistically, set a plan in stone and follow it to the letter. If you can, trim the unnecessary parts.

I was in a similar situation to you, OP.

Let's just say that my RPG total conversion was often overlooked by the public and no feedback was given except a few "thank you" comments. Now, what I'm about to say is not what you want to hear, but I'm suspecting you want to find out the truth.

Realistically, you have 2 options.

1). Let it go. Maybe have a final release as a goodbye and do something fresh. It could be another RPG or even a smaller minigame. The world's your oyster.

2). Reboot it. Make it in a modern engine and attract attention that way. This is what I'm doing with the total conversion, because I recognised that I couldn't do it all by myself and I need new art assets.

So, determine exactly what you hope to achieve and go from there. The very best of luck to you. :)

I gotta say I don't understand the project, nor recognize it despite its age. It's a JRPG... that took 10 years to develop? I work with a lot of games written with RPGMaker. Seems to me a project that should have taken 1-2 years is taking significantly longer and has no competitive advantages over games developed with a game making engine (Which have enough trouble making sales as it is).

The front page of the site tells me nothing about the project. The whole site seems designed to inform me about developing the game, rather than the game its self. Basically it isn't a sales page, but regardless of if you want donations or direct sales, your site has to sell the product.

My instinct would be to end the project and start something fresh. Getting interest in this project will be difficult, but it has nothing to do with the age, more to do with the genre and current market conditions. At the next level I'd move to Kickstarter or something to get some bulk funds in place.

Last piece of thought from me: Don't get caught in the sunk cost fallacy. Just because time has been spent doesn't make that time inherantly valuable. Your time may simply be better spent elsewhere (it also doesn't make it inherantly valueLESS, so think about what you gain from all that spent time too).

Thanks for your comments, everyone. I've read them all, agree with most, and have done some thinking. I've got a lot to respond to, so I'm going to give succinct responses.

If you want to create a game by a team you need to be really fast at finishing it, until time will disintegrate the team.

A lesson I've surely learned now, and wish I knew sooner. The biggest mistake that our initial team made was diving head first into a large and complex project with zero prior experience. Hence why the first couple of years were really a learning experience.

From the point of view of an artist, they want their work to be enjoyed by a lot of players. They want recognition.

I fully agree, and this is something we learned a few years back. Artists are generally not inclined to checkout the code and compile/build the game themselves to see their work in action. We started producing more internal screenshots and releases so that non-technical people on our team could see the progress, but it was too little too late I"m afraid. Right now, the project is in the best position that it's ever been for artists to see their work enjoyed by others.

From my perspective it kinda sounds like what you want is not contributors, but friends to work on the project with you in your collective off-time.

Exactly. I want people who love this type of game (a 2D JRPG with an interesting story and solid gameplay) and are passionate about beinga member of the creative process to build one. I tried to get people who joined to take ownership of the project and have them share their ideas, rather than being the one who always dictated what we should build and what we should do. It worked with some people, others preferred to remain more aloof and just get assigned things to do. Maybe I should use that sort of language in my recruitment posts.

I took a look at your project's forum and it's the very definition of dead.

Yup. I wish there were people active there because I like to post a lot and share my ideas and plans with others as a kind of sounding board. There are some people that still drop by our IRC channel occasionally and chat, but that's about it. I was hoping that posting more to the forum myself would entice others to do so, but there's really no one to read/respond to new posts.

Are you sure this isn't just an excuse to "have a life" and "watch the occasional TV show"?

I wasn't meaning to use "I'm busy" as an excuse. I've been much, much busier in my life and still made more time for this project then than I do now. I was pretty miserable during my workaholic years, and I don't want to fall back into that lifestyle. Ever. If I'm not having fun working on this project, there's no point in me continuing to work on it. I want to enjoy this process, even if it means it will take a long time.

But, how much of the original idea is left?

Actually, quite a lot. We've remained pretty darn true to the original design discussions we had with our initial team. And we've continued to follow our core design philosophies as we've worked out the details and built the game. Although the game has had a lot of features added on that increased development time, asset requirements, etc. I think one failure of this project (and myself as a team leader) was allowing this kind of bloat continue to pile on for things that we really did not need. (Example: we used to do random encounter battles, which are really easy, but now we have enemy sprites roam around the map and chase after the player character, who can use a stamina meter to try and outrun them).

It looks as if the project needs a reboot.

I was thinking something along the lines of this. What I was imagining was forming an entirely new team and starting somewhat fresh. We'd still use the same code and assets and story, but we'd brainstorm about what kind of game we want to build with it. I thought of this because its hard to be enthusiastic about joining a project that pretty much has most of the core mechanics and gameplay nailed down that were decided by a group of people years ago who have long since parted ways with this project. So I've been wondering if I could roll with that sort of mindset, attract a new team of enthusiastic people and share what we have to work with, and see where we want to go from there.

Try a kick starter, get donations, etc.

This isn't a for-profit project. We're not trying to make any money from it, even donations. It's just a hobbyist project to use our talents to build a game for people to play. It's as simple as that. Hence one reason why this is such a long endeavor. If I could make this my full-time job, I would have. But its never been our intention to charge people for this. And I wouldn't feel comfortable starting to ask for money seeing as how many people have worked so hard on this project for nothing for so many years. Its not fair to them if someone makes money off of their work.

Let it go. Maybe have a final release as a goodbye and do something fresh. It could be another RPG or even a smaller minigame. The world's your oyster.

Definitely thought about this many times as well. I wouldn't let it go without having some form of final release. Probably a much shorter version of what the full game was intended to be (maybe a few hours of content). I have a clear stopping point in my mind of where the game could potentially end if it were to end pre-maturely. So once I get to that point, I'll re-evaluate whether it makes sense to continue going forward or to call it done.

The front page of the site tells me nothing about the project.

Yes! I realized this myself a couple months ago. Our website does not explain nor "sell" the idea of the product well at all. I want to improve this, but kept telling myself "if you're going to work on this project, work on the product". But I think this is important enough that I should spend some serious time working on our about page to explain what this game is and what makes it special.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

So after taking in everyone's feedback and looking at where things stand, here's the course I've decided on.

Rebuilding a Team

1. Continue working solo for now. Get a development release out that people can play. Upload a playthrough video showing it in action so people don't even have to install it to see it in action.
  2. Update the website to better explain the product, its major features, and design goals. Sell it to the audience to get them interested and excited about playing it.
  3. Once the previous steps are complete, try recruiting once more. Include latest gameplay videos and a link to the section on the site explaining the product in more detail. Explain that we're seeking people passionate about this type of game that want to contribute their ideas and talents to building it.

Project Status

1. Depending on the size of the team and ability to complete work in a timely manner, cut extra features as necessary and where it makes sense to. We can't keep having such ambitious goals for a project if we don't have the resources to complete them in a matter of months.
  2. Set a finishing point for the project that is much closer than originally planned (a few hours of game content as opposed to 40+ hours). Make that the current "long-term goal" and don't worry about anything beyond that.
  3. After reaching the end goal, re-evaluate the project status, team status, and desire to continue. At that point figure out whether the project should continue or if it should be marked as complete.

Other Ideas

1. Consider a "soft reboot" of the project. Bring in a new team of enthusiastic people and explain to them what assets, technology, and story currently exists. Start from scratch, making a game that this new team is interested in while reusing as much of the old work as we can.
  2. I forgot to mention it earlier, but there's a fork of our project called Valyria Tear. I've been a contributor to that project throughout the couple of years it has existed. Maybe if things don't work out with this project, I could just continue my work over there instead. They've seen a lot of great progress (and a full release) in the last few months.

Thanks again for your input, everyone. I feel much better (and perhaps more realistic) about the next steps to take moving forward.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

So suggestions like "completely overhaul your website" just aren't going to happen.

So after taking in everyone's feedback and looking at where things stand, here's the course I've decided on.

Update the website to better explain the product,

Sorry just thought I'd underline the irony :)

Best of luck with the release though!

So suggestions like "completely overhaul your website" just aren't going to happen.

Update the website to better explain the product,

Sorry just thought I'd underline the irony smile.png

Best of luck with the release though!

I think there might be a subtle difference here between updating a website and overhauling a website.

Good luck though, i've read through this entire thread and i agree with the advice and what you plan to do :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement