🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Steam's novel hipster pricing policy for old games

Started by
6 comments, last by Servant of the Lord 9 years, 1 month ago

I've noticed a few other titles that follow the same pattern, but I can't recall which ones I've stumbled on. As a point in case, consider Raptor on Steam vs Raptor on GoG.

I wonder how much of this pricing policy has to do with customer loyalty and how much of it is blatant exploitation. I should think different people prefer the Steam version for various reasons, including the fact that they don't shop on GoG, have possibly never heard of GoG or are just plain stupid in thinking that the Steam copy is somehow superior or more exclusive. Or are just hipsters who think that owning a copy on Steam will somehow elevate their nerd cred.

There may also be several practical motives for this acute difference in pricing, among them when an agreement was signed with either platform and what kinds of distribution rights/responsibilities either platform is tied to internally. If it were just Raptor, I'd be willing to accept that it's just a crack in bureaucracy and 3D Realms (or whoever owns the rights to Raptor these days) have negotiated a special deal whereupon they simply increased the price on Steam (to be fair, I haven't checked any other platforms the game is likely to be available on). However, since more and more of these exceptions have cropped up as of recent, I can't help but think that it's either a new fad or Steam is seriously inflating their prices and consequently taking advantage of their position on the market. Not that these old games would appeal to the majority of Gen Z, but still - the price difference is more than seven fold. (a stupid oversight)

For the sake of discussion, I'll leave the last paragraph intact:

Personally I don't have an opinion on whether a game that was made 21 years ago should/could/might be priced the same as new titles. On the one hand a game is a game and if it has stood the test of time, its inherent entertainment value hasn't necessarily amortized. A player is paying for more than just a copy of the software - they're paying for the time they spend using the software and the value they get out of it (or don't). On the other hand, come on - it's a simple top down shooter that may have been pristine when it was released, but is plainly dated today. The latter I know to be the case, because I've actually beaten the game and experienced its fantastically one-sided upgrade system first-hand. This happened two years ago, so it's not even that distant a memory. That being said, I couldn't weight in on other similar examples.

What's your opinion on this?

Advertisement
The publisher sets the price of their games, not Steam.

[edit] for me, the links you posted are for a single game on GOG for $7.79 and a pack of 32 games on steam for $29.99 (on sale from $39.99).
The issue seems to be that you dont have the choice to buy Raptor individually on steam; it's only available as part of a bundle.

The publisher sets the price of their games, not Steam.

[edit] for me, the links you posted are for a single game on GOG and a pack of 32 games on steam.
The issue seems to be that you dont havr the choice to buy Raptor individually on steam; only as part of a bundle.

Haha - well that was embarrassing :).

If I could vote your post up I would Irreversible - nice try! laugh.png

<edit>

If there was a forum called "Posting Horrors" it would fit in that. But, alas..

</edit>

Too many projects; too much time

While I can officially declare myself blind now, the bigger question remains: would the price of a game be justified to remain the same after a decade or two under any circumstances? After all, while the technology has moved on, this doesn't necessarily mean that the game has grown old because of it, lost its entertainment value or that the effort that went into it is somehow smaller or inferior.

This thread is based on faulty information .... the steam version says ....

32 games for $30 USD

Save big on 3D Realms Anthology - a 32-game mega collection of classic Apogee/3D Realms games adapted to run on Windows and Mac!

Items included in this bundle

Alien Carnage / Halloween Harry
Action
Arctic Adventure
Action, Adventure
Balls of Steel
Casual, Simulation
Bio Menace
Action
Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold
Action
Blake Stone: Planet Strike
Action
Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure
Action, Adventure
Crystal Caves
Action
Dark Ages
Action
Death Rally (Classic)
Racing
Duke Nukem
Action
Duke Nukem 2
Action
Duke Nukem 3D
Action
Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project
Action
Hocus Pocus
Action, Adventure
Major Stryker
Action
Math Rescue
Adventure
Monster Bash
Action
Monuments of Mars
Action, Adventure
Mystic Towers
Action, Adventure
Paganitzu
Action, Adventure
Pharaoh's Tomb
Adventure
Raptor: Call of the Shadows
Action
Realms of Chaos
Action, Adventure
Rise of the Triad: Dark War
Action
Secret Agent
Action
Shadow Warrior (Classic)
Action
Stargunner
Action
Terminal Velocity
Action
Wacky Wheels
Action, Racing
Word Rescue
Action, Adventure
Xenophage: Alien Bloodsport
Action

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

If I put a game on Steam I can't set the price?

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

If I put a game on Steam I can't set the price?

Yes you can. Valve might give some pricing advice, but they leave the final decision to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement