🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

USA official buildings and symbols in a game? (law issues?)

Started by
14 comments, last by Ricki80 9 years, 1 month ago

Hello is it possible to include/re-create the "official" government buildings of the usa in a game without any permission, any fee or without even asking/notifying anyone one wants to do so?

1) For example, is it possible under these circumstances to create the exterior and mainly interior as realistically/as accurate as possible of the whitehouse, parliament, senate (house of senate), pentagon etc...

2) And is it possible to use in these interiors and exteriors (for a game purposes) the official symbols and logos of government institutions? For example- USA flags hanging from walls/sticks/poles, official white house logo (if it has one), CIA, FBI, pentagon logos etc. I believe you know what i mean, is this possible to use freely in a game?

Advertisement

Not a lawyer, double-check to be certain:

is it possible under these circumstances to create the exterior and mainly interior as realistically/as accurate as possible of the whitehouse, parliament, senate (house of senate), pentagon etc...

The white house and the capitol building are probably okay to model, but you are safest talking with a lawyer. Interior layouts are readily available online and off, although they may or may not be accurate. Again, you need a lawyer to confirm.

There is no "US parliament" building I'm aware of.

The pentagon you are unlikely to get accurate internal layouts. Also as the building is more recent (1943) it likely has some legal encumbrances.

the official symbols and logos of government institutions

The US flag probably has no restrictions for that if you are using it as a flag for things flags are usually decorated for. There are some legal restrictions for using the US flag in commercial ways; don't modify it without talking to a lawyer, don't use it for advertising at all without talking to a lawyer.

The logos are protected by trademark, they need permission.

Wow... thanks for reply... thats seems ridiculously complicated, the fact that even the pentagon cannot be modelled because the simple fact its a more modern building....

terrible, i gues the safest way is to model everyting just similiar so everyone knows what it should represent but niot accurate enough to be sued.

BTW, so even the FBI, NSA etc. logos cannot be used? Even thought they are "public" agencied and not private (profit reason) companies...?

With fbi, nsa etc logos, it is illegal as far as I am aware to duplicate them, or even have the initials of the organisation printed onto a shirt.

This is more to stop people impersonating a federal agent rather than copyright issues that are usually prevalent in game content.

The only time I've really seen the fbi logo in a game was the old 90s arcade machine splash screen, "winners don't use drugs!". That was of course officially sanctioned and in fact the fbi had asked for that to be put there.

wdud2.jpg

You can always parody or adjust it, e.g. the gta series had the FIB rather than FBI, which was essentially the same thing but sidestepped the issue.

Interesting... so it can be THAT much obvious (FIB vs FBI and its ok, theres no need to invent name that would totally NOT resemble the original?)

Is there anywhere in GTA (i didnt play the recent ones) even spelled the "FIB" as Federal Investigation Bureaun?

Is there anywhere in GTA (i didnt play the recent ones) even spelled the "FIB" as Federal Investigation Bureaun?

Yes, in the audio of the game, and in the maps etc, you can find this name of the bureau.

It is also a play on words though, fib being a synonym for lie, saying that they are an organisation full of lies... This is common in gta.

It does show how little you need to change the name to comply though.

theres no need to invent name that would totally NOT resemble the original?

Note that this was in Grand Theft Auto. The company is not small, they have lawyers on their staff to double-check the legality of issues, to negotiate licenses, and to fight lawsuits. They've had a steady stream of lawsuits against them since the GTA3 time frame.

As mentioned above, clearing legal rights is something best done with your business lawyer or with a company specializing in the task.

I wont have much money to spent on lawyers, but lets say, for CIA, would it be ok to change it to "MIA (Main Inteligence agency, or KIA (Key Inteligence Agency), would it be sufficient to comply (and no, I wont be able to consult this with lawyer since i have a lot of these and i wouldnt have the money to go through them all, im asking in a more general way), or in other words, would YOU feel safe and ok using these in your game (without consulting a lawyer)? Or would you go much far with the name and change the name even more? (like for example FIO (Foreign Inteligence Organization?)

I wont have much money to spent on lawyers

Whenever you say this, you need to follow it up in your head with "so I don't have much money to spend on legal issues... like getting sued... either."

If you can't afford a lawyer (how do you know this? have you actually gone to one and asked for a quote? they'll do that, you know -- talk with you beforehand to give you some idea of the time and thus money it will take to go over your issue), then you certainly can't afford to do anything that would risk legal action being taken against you.

Thus, don't make any attempt to toe any legal lines. Use the rule of thumb that "if you have to ask if it's okay, don't do it."

Josh Petrie : Well that didnt really help either :-), i could follow up with a quote- if you dont risk anything, youll get nothing :-)...

Would you or anyone else reading this "risk" using the

"MIA (Main Inteligence agency, or KIA (Key Inteligence Agency)

or would you rather go with FIO (Foreign Inteligence Organization?)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement