🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Questions concerning crowdfunding/risks

Started by
11 comments, last by Gian-Reto 9 years, 1 month ago

Hi,

I am currently studying technical computer science at the technical university Berlin. I thought about giving up my studies or pause it for one semester and continue working on my game. I am just not sure if this is the right decision. I am not sure about the risk when I rely on people on kickstarter or indiegogo to invest some money in my project. Is it enough to show a working prototype with some spaceship and character models and some terrain and a little bit gameplay (it's a game taking place in space and on planets) to get my game funded? How much should I expect if I am almost alone working on this and does not have any job experience in game development (well, I have some experience in developing games - I learned it by doing)? Are $35k earnings by crowdfunding realistic? And is it realistic to sell the game (in late alpha/early beta stage) to enough players to live from the earnings and to continue development? Is there a way to find out if there is a market for my game? And how is the game market, does success more depend on luck or more on how good a game is? Or both equally?

A recent screenshot of the game:

7.png

Advertisement

Is it enough to show a working prototype with some spaceship and character models and some terrain and a little bit gameplay (it's a game taking place in space and on planets) to get my game funded? How much should I expect if I am almost alone working on this and does not have any job experience in game development (well, I have some experience in developing games - I learned it by doing)? Are $35k earnings by crowdfunding realistic?

Unfortunately I think your chances would be extremely low.

There have been a growing number of failed crowd-funding campaigns from inexperienced developers, resulting in people tending to distrust developers unless they're really convincing.

Consider for example Algo-Bot (Algo-Bot: Lessons learned from our Kickstarter failure) which unfortunately failed to raise $60,000 on Kickstarter; this game was from an experienced developer with plenty of prior releases, was popular enough to be greenlit, and already had fantastic release-quality artwork (you can see a couple of screenshots in this older article) and game-play footage.

However, I suppose if you're confident, you have a good portfolio and if you can show some quality screenshots and video there's no harm in trying.

Personally, I would continue working on the game in your spare time whilst you complete your studies, and then see what you can do to release the game at a later stage after you've made more progress.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I thought about giving up my studies or pause it for one semester and continue working on my game.

Well, earning money with indie game dev is similar to playing lottery, earning money by proper education is a proven concept.

Earning a living with indie game dev is a business and should be setup as business. Doing game dev as hobby is ,like every other hobby, a time and money sink wink.png

Magogan wrote:
1. I thought about giving up my studies or pause it for one semester and continue working on my game.
2. I am just not sure if this is the right decision.
3. I am not sure about the risk when I rely on people on kickstarter or indiegogo to invest some money in my project.
4. Is it enough to show a working prototype with [snip] to get my game funded?
5. How much should I expect if I am almost alone working on this and does not have any job experience in game development
6. Are $35k earnings by crowdfunding realistic?
7. And is it realistic to sell the game (in late alpha/early beta stage) to enough players to live from the earnings and to continue development?
8. Is there a way to find out if there is a market for my game?
9. And how is the game market, does success more depend on luck or more on how good a game is? Or both equally?

1. Don't do it. Stay in school.
2. I say it isn't. I say you're not ready to go indie yet. But when you have a decision to make, make a decision grid. http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m70.htm
3. Your chances of getting funding that way are extremely low.
4. No.
5. You should expect zero.
6. No. And if you did get that amount, it wouldn't be enough.
7. No.
8. Yes, but you can't afford it.
9. Good game and not just luck but also business smarts and a number of other things. You're not ready. Stay in school. You can do this later.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Finish school...

You don't have any track record - not even in mods.

Mod developers who I know, did get away with no prototype and a few beautiful videos, but they are well known in the Skyrim modding community.

Mod developers who I know, did get away with no prototype and a few beautiful videos, but they are well known in the Skyrim modding community.

Well, I actually will have something between a prototype and a game when I start a campaign on Kickstarter or Indiegogo. I hope that will be enough to get funded, but I am not sure. I definitively want the viewers to be able to download and play the game as soon as I start the campaign - or even before that. Do you think that's enough or is there still something missing to convince the viewers to back some money or at least share the campaign with friends who may invest some money in the game?

The problem with my studies is that I began in 2011, I am still not finished and I am not interested in some courses (electronics), so I thought about changing (back) to computer science, but I can't do this before the next semester (starting in october), so I have enough time to develop the game. I think I learned enough of computer science/programming to make a game.

I don't know if you can compare the German school system with the American one. I already have an "Abitur", which is a degree that allows me to go to university or start a job training (is this the right word?). When you say "finish school" it sounds for me like "get an 'Abitur'", but I already have one.

Well, I actually will have something between a prototype and a game when I start a campaign on Kickstarter or Indiegogo. I hope that will be enough to get funded, but I am not sure. I definitively want the viewers to be able to download and play the game as soon as I start the campaign - or even before that. Do you think that's enough or is there still something missing to convince the viewers to back some money or at least share the campaign with friends who may invest some money in the game?

The problem with my studies is that I began in 2011, I am still not finished and I am not interested in some courses (electronics), so I thought about changing (back) to computer science, but I can't do this before the next semester (starting in october), so I have enough time to develop the game. I think I learned enough of computer science/programming to make a game.

I have been getting good advice from my team (as I'm in a similar position to you), and there are a few rules of thumb:

1). 60%+ of the game should be done.

2). Have at least one of the two: good gameplay, good art. Seeing from the screenshot that you don't have good art, I'd focus on an innovative game mechanic.

There's still the problem of a lack of track record. Successful campaigns tell me that the more you released, even it was just mods, the less you can get away with showing. So if I were you, I'd look into modding first.

There's no reason you can't commit to completing your game whilst still attending school. School students have much more free time than they admit to. The time is NOW, before you get a full time job, married and kids etc... Good luck!

I already have an "Abitur", which is a degree that allows me to go to university or start a job training

I'd actually assumed you were already studying at university for a degree. If you already have the necessary qualification to do so then my recommendation would be to go to university and to continue making your game in your spare time.

Do you think that's enough or is there still something missing to convince the viewers to back some money or at least share the campaign with friends who may invest some money in the game?

You're still missing a proven track record and industry experience, and even with both of these things many teams fail.

To reiterate my earlier suggestion, why not continue your studies (with the new aim of attending and completing university) AND continue working on your game?

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement