🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using existing game footage for my showreel

Started by
6 comments, last by frob 9 years, 2 months ago

Hi,

I'm new on this forum, so hi guys!

I was wondering, is it legal to take youtubemovies of existing games, put your own music under it and use it for your showreel as a demo for your work?

I've been searching the internet and the youtube laws, but I can not find an answer to this question.

Thanks so much for help!

Advertisement

Legality all depends on details.

To minimize risk I would only take the pieces you need, only use the parts that showcase exactly what you did and not what anyone else did, and try to keep anything else to a minimum.

For example, if you were an animator on a major game, taking closeup video of the game that has shipped that showcases what you built is going to be quite safe. If you were person who animated a major boss exploding in a fireball of awesomeness and that was used by marketing, you could likely include that (already public) clip as part of your portfolio.

But if you did not work on the titles, if the youtube clips are for games you didn't make, they have no business at all being among your demos. Aside from legal issues from using work that isn't yours, the company will almost certainly realize those were not yours when comparing against your resume. That is a great reason to not hire you.

Hi Frob,

thanks for your response.

I meant, It's the soundtrack and the soundeffects I made, so those are all mine.

But the images of the game are not from mine.

Would the same arguments still hold up? Just trying to do the right thing...

Yup, if you made it, and they already released it publicly, you're pretty safe to add parts of it to your portfolio.

There is always an element of risk to anything you do, but in this case as it is limited use of something you built for another project, and it is a part of your career, and the company already released the music for general consumption, that is not a particularly large risk. You are submitting a portfolio of samples of things you have done before, not publicly posting trade secrets from inside the company.

The courts have established a four-prong test to help guide if the infringement is actually a fair use of the product. It is still a judgement call rather than a bright line, but building a demo reel to showcase your work history would almost certainly be immediately dismissed by the courts. While it doesn't have a so-called "bright line" of right and wrong, within the huge gray area it is in the "it's okay" region. The risk is not quite zero, but less risky than other acts like driving a vehicle or visiting a public restroom. Extremely safe, but not perfectly safe.

Exercise some care to ensure that your use is brief. Use enough to showcase what you have done, not so much that it becomes an alternative to the game's soundtrack bonus content.

Technically speaking, what you would then be making would be a 'derivative work'. I.e. you are 'deriving' your version of the movie (with your music) from an already existing video which someone owns the copyright to--probably whoever posted it.

So technically, you would need permission from whomever made the video.

Practically speaking, a zillion composers do this all the time, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just go ahead and make it, and stick it on your demo reel.

Brian Schmidt

Executive Director, GameSoundCon:

GameSoundCon 2016:September 27-28, Los Angeles, CA

Founder, Brian Schmidt Studios, LLC

Music Composition & Sound Design

Audio Technology Consultant

Hi Frob,

thanks for your response.

I meant, It's the soundtrack and the soundeffects I made, so those are all mine.
But the images of the game are not from mine.

Would the same arguments still hold up? Just trying to do the right thing...

I think MusicToGo is asking if he can use footage from a game he did not work on, and compose music for it, and make a demo reel to show what he would compose for that game.

I'm not going to address that question since I am not a lawyer.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

I think MusicToGo is asking if he can use footage from a game he did not work on, and compose music for it, and make a demo reel to show what he would compose for that game.

Yep, that's the question.

I don't see much composers do it, so i presume it's not ok, but I'm not sure.

To make it more complicated: to practice i took some gameplay-movies from youtube and put my music under it.

The owners of the movie are players, but obviously they took the images of a game that's not theirs.

So who is the owner of the footage? The players that put it on youtube? Or are the images and movies property of the gamedevelopers that made the game?

I think I covered that above:

... only use the parts that showcase exactly what you did and not what anyone else did...

But if you did not work on the titles, if the youtube clips are for games you didn't make, they have no business at all being among your demos. Aside from legal issues from using work that isn't yours, the company will almost certainly realize those were not yours when comparing against your resume. That is a great reason to not hire you.

No, I would not want you to compose music while showing a video clip for something you didn't help with. Re-composing music for a Zelda dungeon boss or a God of War epic battle, I wouldn't do it. It shows bad form, like you''re trying to associate your name and your music with an existing brand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement