🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Choosing a university course?

Started by
3 comments, last by DerekL 9 years, 2 months ago

Hey all,

I have ALWAYS wanted a future in video games development and I am currently in my ASs and thinking about universities.

Most universities are offering computer science in various different forms, but not many are offering a form that is aimed only at video games programming (maybe 10-20 that i've found).

None of the video game development courses stick out to me that mush as being amazing courses. So i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whether or not i should stick with my hunt for a great video game development course, or would the video games industry accept me just as easily with a general computer science degree?

Many thanks
George

Advertisement

If you want a be a programmer in the games industry, a computer science degree will work. In some cases it may be considered better than any sort of specialized "game development" program.

In some cases it may be considered better than any sort of specialized "game development" program.

In MOST cases it may be considered better than any sort of specialized game development program

Unless it is a computer science degree with a specialized gaming focus then its okay.

I'll stress though don't even consider any of these "game schools" that do not offer accredited degrees.

I did a game programming degree and it was very good. I got a games dev job before I even graduated and I was still able to change into non games development when the UK games industry died.

However in hindsight I still would not recommend anybody do one of these degrees themselves. Just do a straight up Software Engineering or Comp Sci degree. If you want to make games do it in your spare time or try to change your programming assignments into games. There is nothing to stop you making your final dissertation games related.

I did a game programming degree and it was very good. I got a games dev job before I even graduated and I was still able to change into non games development when the UK games industry died.

I wasn't saying they are all bad just that your better off getting an actual degree as I find unless you have a stellar portfolio or a prior work experience you most likely wont even be considered for an interview.

I also got one of these game programming diplomas and had a hell of a time finding a job because nobody would have me in for an interview. We did have 2 people from our class get jobs straight away but in both cases they already had Computer science degrees not sure why they went for a game programming diploma after.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement