🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Professional Graphic Design in Indie Games?

Started by
2 comments, last by Joe414 9 years, 2 months ago

Hello I am a student looking to continue my education in graphic design and was wondering if someone could tell me what goes into the branding processes while making games? Id assume most studios use Their own in house art team. I am Curious to know if a Graphic designer would be of any use in the game industry. Graphic Design in games would be used for logos, banners, websites, custom fonts, app icons and any kind of branding really. Graphic Designers can also be very artistic and work on game assets. Basicly, is the branding made within the art team of a company or is the use of a 3rd party industry needed? would Indie Game development benefit via the efforts of a professional graphic artist on there team?

thanks for reading

Advertisement
I am Curious to know if a Graphic designer would be of any use in the game industry.

Yes. For all the things you go on to mention. Games want those things, too. If you're JUST doing graphic design content, however, you'll probably be more useful in a contractor/commissioned role to provide specific content to indie teams (as opposed to coming on "full time") unless you also:

Graphic Designers can also be very artistic and work on game assets

At which point you're probably wearing multiple hats, which is very common on small indie teams.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

0. Professional Graphic Design in Indie Games?
1. what goes into the branding processes while making games? Id assume most [indie] studios use Their own in house art team.
2. I am Curious to know if a Graphic designer would be of any use in the game industry.
3.a. Graphic Design in games would be used for logos, banners, websites, custom fonts, app icons and any kind of branding really.
3.b. Graphic Designers can also be very artistic and work on game assets.
4. Basicly, is the branding made within the art team of a[n indie] company or is the use of a 3rd party industry needed?
5. would Indie Game development benefit via the efforts of a professional graphic artist on there team?

0. Your subject line asks about indie games, but then you don't mention indies much in the body of your post. It's unclear, therefore, if you're really asking only about indie games, or if you are at all interested in graphic design in the mainstream game industry. I'm responding based on the assumption you're only asking about indie dev.
2. Indie studios who self-publish may use their usual art team to create their marketing graphics. If, however, a studio has money, then they might go for a contract graphic designer.
3.a. You are correct.
3.b. It's possible, but not likely.
4. Answered in #2 above.
5. It could, if the company has money and is doing a lot of marketing to support its ongoing live service game.

I gather that you are asking this because you want to go solo, and offer your professional services on an independent basis to indie studios after graduation? That's a hard road. You should get professional experience for a couple years before you hang out your own shingle. Check out the Business/Law forum -- someone just recently posted a rant about how hard it is to make money as a raw freelancer. http://www.gamedev.net/topic/667622-game-development-and-commercial-success-not-a-single-was-earned-that-day/

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the feed back

I plan to work with a team, not right after school but when I gain enough experience and have a lot of good quality work to be able to present myself. Not as a freelance artist either. Designers need years of experience before they can be on there own. Also, yeah I can see what you ment Bob when you said freelance is a hard road. My idea is to have a strong background in branding a company but also be able to create art assets if needed. I believe this would be helpful for smaller indie companies because of my broad scope where as a bigger game companies might focus on branding with covers, poster and what not in which i'll be qualified to do as well.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement