🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Marketing with small budget

Started by
2 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 3 months ago

What are some strategies that you have seen used to market apps without spending too much money? Just spam twitter, facebook, reddit, etc.??

Advertisement

I was looking up marketing just a few hours ago, and found this: http://www.indiegamegirl.com/no-budget-marketing/

I was thinking about making a marketing post on here too! My game Arcane Castle is getting almost no traffic. Turns out I was supposed to do marketing. Oops. So I watched that video a couple hours ago and took a lot of notes.

* Also, I just asked the Orion Trail guys this morning if they had any marketing advice. Their main suggestion was to be shameless. #arcanecastle

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

Marketing is a business matter, not a technical matter. Moving to Business.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

There are lots of things you can do with little or no budget.

The first and most important one for me has always been networking. Get your name known and your game talked about long before launch. Start on forums like this one, and tigsource, etc. Release lots of promotional screenshots and videos.

While we're on the subject of videos, create a YouTube channel and fill it with gameplay videos and development diaries. It costs nothing in terms of cash and will take a little of your time. Make sure people know the channel exists.

Make friends in the industry, not just developers, but journalists. See if you can make friends with eg. the guys on #escapist on chatspike irc.

Next, while money can help, seo can be done by you alone with a little reading up and lots of time spent. Be sure to use proper legitimate methods of link building to send people to the website for your game. You do have a site right, with a proper domain name? I know we said low cost, but you really do need a proper domain name and they cost like $5 for 2 years now. Same with hosting, for the same cost per month you can have a low end virtual server somewhere and put your website and downloads and promo material on it.

Also, build a press kit. There are lots of examples of this out there, but you should have short descriptions of your game for use in reviews, screenshots (low and high resolution) videos, icons, promotional artwork, and anything else you might want to see being used where your game is talked about.

If you have the money it is worth investing in an ad campaign here too as they also start from very small amounts for premium members.

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement