🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Indie Job Titles

Started by
5 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 3 months ago

I just started my company, and I'm a sole proprietor. I made a game on my own, doing the game design, art, and programming. And I wonder, what should I call my Job Title? I'm sure this question comes up for a lot of indie game makers, who might find themselves covering a variety of roles in their companies.

What do you think of different job titles for people at indie companies? Have you had to pick a job title for yourself? If so, what did you pick?

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

Advertisement

At this point you don't normally need a job title. If you need to cite yourself just put "created by DifferentName"

Titles don't really matter to an indie, do they?

If you have to put yourself in the credits, just say "Developed by: yourname"

If you have to talk about your role in a company, just call yourself a "founder".

Yeah, in the credits I used "Created by". I'm basically wondering cause I've seen it requested on forms, like when requesting my game to be reviewed or featured, and the form asks for my title or role in the company. Founder feels too business related,instead of art, programming, game design, and all that good stuff.

Radiant Verge is a Turn-Based Tactical RPG where your movement determines which abilities you can use.

You can call yourself Grand Poobah if you want. Or President. It doesn't matter.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

To be completely boring, a catch-all title would be: "Lead developer"

A bit fancier: "Development director"

A bit too fancy: "CEO" laugh.png

I tend to like 'owner'. Doesn't quite fit in the credits, but suitable as a front succinct explanation for what you do (on places such as Linkedin, or when attending tradeshows for example).

If you do end up making the whole game on your own, there's nothing like just saying 'made by (enter your name here)'. Think of it this way: you did so much work on this you don't even need to specify what as nobody else can possibly take offense for you taking credit ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement