🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

State of Steam Greenlight

Started by
1 comment, last by Malapropos 9 years, 3 months ago
I'm trying to put together some numbers about current state of Steam Greenlight. I found about 6 months old article but it seems like things have changed quite a bit since then and it looks like floodgates were opened. Article I'm referring to can be found here:

http://thebitpulse.com/2014/08/32-of-steam-greenlight-games-get-greenlit-and-other-valve-stats/

Right now, looking at Steam Greenlight page it shows the following:

kTozWgm.png

3114 Greenlit items
4845 Released items

There seems to be a bug concerning number of released items. If you click through it, it only displays 562 entries which seems a lot more reasonable. What I'm not sure about is, what is the total number of items that are in Greenlight but that haven't been Greenlit yet? It would seem that 1730 items seen in screenshot above could be it, but I'm not sure. The list does have entries all the way back from 2012 when the service started up until today. If this indeed is the total number of games in Greenlight that haven't been Greenlit, it seem that they are accepting at least double the number of games compared to what they did 6 months back. The article says acceptance was around 32% and with these numbers it is about 64% acceptance rate (3114 accepted, 1730 not).

I'm planning on listing a game on Greenlight in about 9-12 months. My fear is that by that time Steam becomes what mobile app market is now. Easy to get in, but very hard to distinguish yourself from the crowd because of market saturation. Are my fears unfounded? Did I get some of my data wrong? Is there better data available somewhere?
Advertisement

I'm planning on listing a game on Greenlight in about 9-12 months. My fear is that by that time Steam becomes what mobile app market is now. Easy to get in, but very hard to distinguish yourself from the crowd because of market saturation. Are my fears unfounded? Did I get some of my data wrong? Is there better data available somewhere?

Let's say for the sake of argument that your fears are correct, and in about 9-12 months Steam is exactly as you fear it might be. I'm curious about what would you do differently, compared to the situation where your fears are unfounded?

Only thing I can think of is I could maybe put a bit less effort on the Greenlight campaign and direct that work somewhere else, but I have no previous games on Greenlight and I have no solid data to reference there. I've been thinking about it, but I guess I wouldn't change much. I'd still try to do everything in my power for the game to succeed. I'd still try to get visibility wherever I can to market the game and try to make a game that is fun to play.

I said fears, but that is probably wrongly worded. I like to be prepared for whatever is coming and do a little research before I jump head first into it. Just trying to confirm that the data is correct, and if not, to get better sources.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement