🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What is your ARPU (Average Revenues Per User) in your apps?

Started by
11 comments, last by frob 9 years, 3 months ago

Are you talking about inapps still? It sounds more like you are talkinga about some site that sells products?
But you didn't specify mobile in your question.

I had "apps" in the title, I am talking about iOS and Android apps. I have never seen any inapps or purchases in an iOS app that was not handled ingame from the iTunes store, can you give an example of this?

Advertisement

I had "apps" in the title, I am talking about iOS and Android apps. I have never seen any inapps or purchases in an iOS app that was not handled ingame from the iTunes store, can you give an example of this?

It seems the word "app" is spreading to desktop too. I use it like that myself, and Apple has an "App Store" on OSX too.

So "in app purchase" has started to mean any purchase you make from within the application, regardless of platform.

I think it is natural, since "App" always have been just an abbreviation of the old word "Application" anyway, a word which never was limited to any platform.

There will be no examples of iOS apps that handle purchases (for real money) in any other way then iTunes store, since Apple forbids it.

With Android I'm not sure what the policies are.

Yes, what Olof Hedman wrote.

"App" does not refer exclusively to mobile devices. It may have become a popular term in that domain, but it is in no way exclusive.

Re-reading my post:

Both. I spent several years developing objects for the Sims Store. Limiting yourself to just in-app purchase or to just web purchase is unnecessary. For only a small amount of extra work you can do both. Well, usually. It can be difficult on mobile because of requirements to go through their store and the inability to issue keys. But you didn't specify mobile in your question.

If you use the typical license agreement with the companies, which almost all developers must do, then you are bound to go through their payment processing system and follow their rules.

I have never seen any inapps or purchases in an iOS app that was not handled ingame from the iTunes store, can you give an example of this?

Very large companies, such as EA and Ubisoft, are able to negotiate their own contracts with Apple.

As part of those contract negotiations, sometimes in order to get high profile applications Apple is willing to make concessions that allow the customer to do some transactions through the company's own payment portal, like Origin or Uplay.

These are not part of the regular everyday agreements you click through on the website or the standard developer account. These are large, multimillion dollar contracts being negotiated by groups of laywers and well-paid executives at both companies.

If you are going through the normal channels because you are a normal group working on a normal product, Apple and Google demand you go through their payment processors for everything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement