🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hey everyone! Got advice?

Started by
11 comments, last by frob 9 years, 4 months ago

@frob

Thanks for the feedback! I never really had much experience building a resume (which shows), so that really helps with restructuring it.

I should really work on cleaning up my portfolio and showing only the best projects. I'm gonna remove the older projects since those are all school projects and honestly not very good, while adding projects demonstrating my latest skills.

Everything else seems to be about showcasing what I can do and also about making my resume and my website resonate with each other.

I do want to know more about evidence of holding a regular job. If I was never able to find regular work, how can I prove I can hold a regular job? Is there a way to prove that? Also, 2013 was a year of fruitless job searching and depression. I wasn't sure that was something to account for, so it's left unreported.

@braindigitalis @stupid_programmer

I am definitely going to start networking more as well as continuing refining my own skills as a developer.

Advertisement

I'm kind of in the same situation as you...no degree, hard worker, strong desire. I was able to land a job with a digital marketing/advertising agency, as an "Interactive Developer" (aka Front-End Developer). I found the role to be very beneficial and it provided real working experience in doing things that can somehow be applied to games. As a bonus, there is a high demand for developers in roles such as these, as there are a lot of programming languages and paths you can take.

I, personally, focused on web technologies and ended up working on a project for Coca-Cola's Fanta, where I was actually tasked to create some mini-games. A lot of the other projects, although not exactly games, featured relatable topics, such as handling user input, performing animations, translating ideas into projects that can be used for portfolio inclusion.

Using your own web page and a web-based portfolio, you can get as creative as possible and show off what you can accomplish. I'm trying to use web-based projects to build a body of work, and then hope to transition that knowledge to a gaming company.

Networking with like-minded individuals is also a major advantage, as you are well aware. I'd guess that over half of a company's employees are connected through one another.

•?¿•??

Jeff

Quantastical.com

... so that really helps with restructuring it.

Good. Let's see a revision when you're ready for that.

I do want to know more about evidence of holding a regular job. If I was never able to find regular work, how can I prove I can hold a regular job? 2013 was a year...

Yes, that is hard.

A classic contradiction in employment is that you need experience to get a job, but you need a job to get experience.

If you have neither employers are taking a big risk. Since they are taking a risk they are bringing more to the bargaining table, meaning reduced wages for you if they do select you over other people who have less risk.

Hopefully if you scatter in enough of those other projects, if you convert all those "skills" lines into actual projects that demonstrate you were doing SOMETHING, that will overcome those other barriers.

As written I don't see any evidence that you are ready to be a professional programmer today. If you have additional projects and can prove you know your way around all the common algorithms and data structures, that you are reasonably familiar with the basics of systems architecture, perhaps there is a chance. But not with what I see on that page right now.

If you are interested in the QA-to-design route, that is a possibility. It is not a super common possibility, around the industry it happens a handful of times every year, the chance of success is extremely low but not quite zero. In that case, make friends at all the local studios, let your friends know and let their HR departments know that you are interested in any QA jobs that become available. Let them know every month that you want QA work. These studios must be local to you, they will not relocate. This would solve the problem of not having held a job, and would give you some inside connections. Most QA work is done on a contract basis, with a small army of testers hired for 3-6 months.

You include both some sketches and some code on your site.

If you are interested in the programming route, my suggestion is to run the numbers and see about getting a 4 year degree in computer science. It doesn't need to be a fancy school, a smaller state college issues degrees too. If a 4 year degree is out, consider a 2 year degree. It is less than the standard bar around the US, but better than what you have got today.

Your art... well, I'm hoping it was meant as a joke. If you are serious about doing real game art, you will need some intensive study and practice. Most professional artists start doodling in their early teens or tweens, and by they time they finish high school they typically have had four to six years of art courses plus their own drawing on the side. If you want that it is still possible, but will require much effort based on what you presented.

The thing about schooling these days is that if you are SERIOUS about wanting an education in the United States, money is very rarely an actual barrier. Many other things like health concerns or supporting a family can be barriers, but the cost of a reasonable education is usually not. You need to shop around not just in your home state but also in different states. You may need to attend a smaller community college then transfer to an inexpensive state university. You will absolutely want to apply for every scholarship and grant in existence, and you will want to study hard to ensure you earn and maintain scholarships. You may need to work part time while also in school. Sadly, I've observed that many students slack off during school, only realizing what it means to work after they enter the workforce. If you are serious about education scholarships and grants are available. You may even need to take some debt, but if you are serious about working for the education some minimal debt at an inexpensive program can set you up for success.

(For me it was a 30-hour/week job afternoon and evenings, full time enrollment in the school, and studying hard maintaining a half-tuition scholarship at the cheapest university in my state... a very stressful time. Yet all the hours spent studying helped me qualify for and maintain scholarships and a few small grants, and finish with a high gpa (magna cum laude) and both university and departmental honors. I ended up with around $10K in student loans but most of my living expenses, such as my apartment and bus passes were paid through my job rather than debt. It is not easy, but it is usually possible if you really want it.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement