🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ignored by press?

Started by
11 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 4 months ago
Hello,

We have been working on a 3D platform/puzzel game in Unreal Engine 3 for 2 years now with 15 people who graduated from a game development college last year, and finally we released the first part for $20,-, with the second part coming up in April for free. (Around 6 hours singleplayer gameplay) Now we have been doing a lot of press releases before where some of them where picked up by press reasonably ok. Not much but at least a couple of big game news websites and lots of smaller. Also we have a facebook page with almost 7000 likes.

But we just released our game on steam and send a press release last monday to 300 websites all over the world, but apart from a couple of polish and russian websites with almost no views, I think it looks like we are being ignored. Offcourse this is not good for the sales. And I am wondering what went wrong or how we can do this more effectively.

I understand its hard to help if I do not mention which game it is and what our press release looks like, so if you need please send a private message. Most forums see posting a name of a game as advertising, i want to avoid that here just to be sure :)

Edit: I am not part of the marketing team so I also dont know exactly how the press releases are send, I think they used mail chimp. But i am just a concerned programmer who doesnt see any websites talking about our game.

Thanks in advance

Alexander
Advertisement

Without the ability to scrutinize the game and the game's website for ourselves, it's hard to offer any useful input. How about a link?

Hi Axefrog,

Thanks for your response, here is a link to the press release in pdf that has been send.

http://karmaflowgame.com/presskit/150202 Karmaflow press release.pdf

As I said, I'm not the person who send out the press release so I do not know exactly what has been send apart from this press release, but at least a couple of unique steam keys and maybe some more info.

You can find more about the game at www.karmaflowgame.com

Interesting premice. I'm surprised no one picked it up for a story.

However, just sending out a press kit doesn't generally net you articles unless you have a history with said press member.

What I would suggest: look up game journalists, see what they're writing about, and when you find one that could be genuinely interested in what you have to show, let them know about it (I know, it sounds simple stupid, but it works).

In your case, finding a metalhead seems like it would be ideal, and I think you can find a few around IGN/RPS/Kotaku if you look deep enough.

Next, find a way to present the idea to them under such a light that it sounds like a "story". Doesn't matter what the game is, it needs to be sold as a story that they can rally readers around. So start thinking: what funny things happened when you secured licensing to show portraits of actual people? Did they give you show tickets to convert rookies to the metal scene? Did any of them say anything to endorse you? etc.

There are probably a ton of other avenues, but this should get you started (if not, you can always hire a freelancer that does this kind of stuff for you *wink wink*).

Hi Orymus3

Thanks for your reply! I will pass this information on to the people from our team that made the press release

and I think it will give them some good ideas about another way to approach this! :)

First, watch this and pay close attention:

Second, dealing with press can be a full time job. It will take lots of work, repeated direct contact and emails to dozens of people, and then just maybe someone will notice you. Game journalists don't really care about press releases unless you're somebody who already has their attention - and frankly, you don't want coverage from anyone who's picking up press releases.

What I would suggest: look up game journalists, see what they're writing about, and when you find one that could be genuinely interested in what you have to show, let them know about it (I know, it sounds simple stupid, but it works).
In your case, finding a metalhead seems like it would be ideal, and I think you can find a few around IGN/RPS/Kotaku if you look deep enough.

Next, find a way to present the idea to them under such a light that it sounds like a "story". Doesn't matter what the game is, it needs to be sold as a story that they can rally readers around. So start thinking: what funny things happened when you secured licensing to show portraits of actual people? Did they give you show tickets to convert rookies to the metal scene? Did any of them say anything to endorse you? etc.

This is great advice.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This is great advice.

Thank you SO MUCH for finding that Ben Kuchera video.

also thanks for your information Promit! And also for the video! I will check it out asap and will also show it to the team :)
Also a small suggestion given the nature of your game: try contacting press who typically cover the music industry (specifically metal) rather than games. :)

- Jason Astle-Adams

@jbadams Thanks for the suggestion! We also did that,but I do not know exactly how well that was going and how many press was contacted in that way though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement