🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where and How might a degree in Philosophy fit into getting a job with a game company?

Started by
1 comment, last by Stumpmaestro 9 years, 5 months ago

I think that the title is rather self-explanatory, but I'll elaborate bit more on what I mean.

A goal of mine ever since playing narrative heavy games is to somehow implement 'my ideas' into a game, while also showcasing what I currently believe to be workable ideas. As I've said in my previous botched thread, I've almost completed a BA in the subject and am likely going to finish a Master's Degree by the middle of next year. I'm 21 (soon to be 22) and will be 23 by the time I'm done with the MA, assuming it eventuates. If this is at all relevant, I'm working on a senior pages that should be anywhere from 80 pages to 100 by the end of this semester.

Of course, everybody has ideas they'd like to actualize. Compound this with the fact that in general philosophy is pretty much all about having ideas (or rethinking what it means to have them which in and of itself is an idea). I've posted a few narrative/game design ideas in other threads, but I'm acutely aware of the practical difficulties appending to the situation at hand- an idea is just that- an idea. Though if I had to say so, the fields I am most interested in are:

- Game Design, Mechanics and Systems, planning.

- Plot conceptualization, storyboarding, development in this regard- especially plots that reflect my interests without becoming tedious.

I've already done some work on a design document and I'm following the advice of others with it.

My question then is whether or not these interests are actually somehow useful to game development, or if they somehow lend me a skillset that the game design community is in need of or could find use for. Of course, it's all ultimately down to whether or not you know how to use these skills but it's like that with anything you can think of (grit is the important variable) but is there a conceivable way in which my skillset in these disciplines might come in handy for game development?

_____

*I think this is a better thread than the last because it seems more incisive. Thanks for any and all advice!

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

Advertisement
Philosophy doesn't lend itself to any game job. But in your other thread you mentioned that you're into psychoanalytical literature. That suggests that you probably know a lot about human psychology, and that is important in just about every job, in games and beyond games. You didn't say specifically what your masters studies are in, but I'll assume that's philosophy too. As I said, that subject doesn't directly relate to a game job - but at its core, philosophy is about thinking, and thinking about what - surely the nature of human existence, which can include business and the business of entertainment. Being a thinker about the game industry could lead somewhere - perhaps some extensive thinking on the subject could come up with a role for you.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the reply.

I find it interesting that psychoanalytic literature actually does serve a role in these sorts of things (but I guess it's not so much psychoanalysis proper but a proclivity for both psychological subjects and the 'discipline' to sort through all of that theoretical stuffing). But your comment is actually helpful because I think I gave my options some breathing space. I'll keep game design on the backburner (a definite option) as I sort through the degree(s) and then evaluate my current resources and knowledge base.

After scanning your FAQs I'm being a bit more levelheaded about the whole thing than how I was on the outset. My personal opinion is now that unless I find it an entertaining as a hobby, I should not be doing it as a full-blown career (obvious in retrospect, but enthusiasm is blinding!). So for now I'll try fiddling around with the RPG maker software in addition to coursework. Again, thanks.

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement