🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Soon-to-be Graduate looking for a bit of advice.

Started by
0 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 5 months ago
EDIT: After re-reading the FAQ regarding good questions I recognize that this is a poor thread. Resultantly, I do not expect responses to it in its current form. Mods can delete it at their discretion. Apologies. Can somebody please delete this thread?

Calling me 'green' would be a massive understatement. I have a certain set of credentials that I believe could conceivably be used to realize my 'goal' (which is ultimately to have a hand in directing a game, a far off and not uncommon goal.) Of course, I am aware that credentials are no more valuable than knowing how to use them. Ultimately, I believe gristle and effort is the only real tool you have starting out with the degree I am slated to get coming into play as some good ancillary material. Now perhaps it seems as if I've 'answered' any real questions I could be asking- but here are some relevant tidbits.

Basically, I am a philosophy major in my final undergraduate year with some experience (and a hefty interest) in psychoanalytic literature (Jung Freud and others). I am currently writing a thesis on ancient philosophy (which should be completed by the end of this semester) and next year (if all holds) I'll be getting a Master's Degree in the subject owing to an internal 1-year grad program my college offers. My interests in games are primarily design and plot conceptualization though perhaps not 'writing' proper (though perhaps this does indeed fit a genre or aspect of game writing).

I am also aware that actually working on games myself is the best 'first step' one could take, which is why I am familiarizing myself with the RPG Maker engine over time (the genre of choice).

* Are there any specific jobs that this knowledge-base could conceivably help with? Is there anything that a company is looking for that I could conceivably 'offer'? It would appear that there is a surfeit of 'philosophy' majors who really don't have the necessary skills to warrant confidence in the degree alone. I know a BA is indeed useful in its own right (and assuming all goes well, the MA), but I'm just wondering how I could best apply this kind of knowledge to this field. I've read quite a few of Tom Sloper's FAQs and am trying to be as realistic about things so as not to set myself up for unrealistic expectations- but I'm wondering which expectations would be realistic granted my situation?

If the thread is best answered by re-reading the FAQs or what-not then no problem, you can lock this (indeed, perhaps this pos an excellent example of how not to ask a question.) But if there is any kernel of advice anybody is willing to offer, I'd be mighty appreciative.

Lover of Death Metal and lampooning Hegel.

Advertisement
Stumpmaestro, I reinstated the question you deleted. We prefer that people not delete their original posts. I'm glad you reread the FAQs, and since you are dissatisfied with the above, I'm closing the thread. Feel free to write a new one at your leisure. Hope you do write a new one. I have thoughts on the matters of philosophy and psychoanalysis in the game industry.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement