🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Working as a game developer

Started by
3 comments, last by WhiskyJoe 9 years, 5 months ago

Hi,

I'm a 33 year old tech guru who has finally made the leap into learning programming and sofware development. My intersts are broad and from building my 3d printer or learning to create mods for Arma 3 I'm always learning and working on something. I'm a husband and father. Right now, I'm in my last year of a bachelors degree from WGU and I'm starting to really think about where I want to work and what I'm wanting to do.

Working in the game industry has always been a hope, and now that I'm moving away from my current discipline of helpdesk/desktop support analyst into the world of software development I am thinking very seriously about persuing a position as a game developer.

As I'm getting close to completion of my degree, I'd like to do more to position myself to secure a position that satisfies my requirements.

If you're a professional game developer, not just as a hobby, I'd be curious to know of your experiences entering the market. It would be great if I could get involved in a project or two that could develop my skills in that direction as well as make some good connections to others in the gaming dev community.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Advertisement

persuing a position as a game developer.

Moving you to the Game Industry Job Advice forum. I recommend you begin by reading the FAQs there. Um, I mean here.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Personally, I think I had a bit of luck landing a job as a software engineer. I followed a game development course in the Netherlands where I specialized in programming. During this time I was able to build up a portfolio and through an internship I also got some more experience.

I think the best thing you can do is to show your work, build up a portfolio and show your skills. It's probably also in your best interest to figure out what kind of role you are interested in (programming, art, design, sound) and find out what you want to specialize in. You can get an idea of what you might need to focus on by checking out job openings that interest you.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. I'm sure more people here are willing as well! smile.png

Personally, I think I had a bit of luck landing a job as a software engineer. I followed a game development course in the Netherlands where I specialized in programming. During this time I was able to build up a portfolio and through an internship I also got some more experience.

I think the best thing you can do is to show your work, build up a portfolio and show your skills. It's probably also in your best interest to figure out what kind of role you are interested in (programming, art, design, sound) and find out what you want to specialize in. You can get an idea of what you might need to focus on by checking out job openings that interest you.

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. I'm sure more people here are willing as well! smile.png

Thanks. I'm interested in the programming side of it the most, so that would be the direction I'm going.

As far as building my portfolio, creating something... that's where I hit the wall. I've tried starting projects (software) before, but for one reason or another haven't finished anything. I've been member of github because I thought I could learn something. But basically the few projects I've followed or attempted to contribute to are beyond my skill level and I really didn't understand what I was suppose to do.

I suppose if I could find my perfect job it'd be an entry game programmer at an indipendent game company that could help me develop my skills. I feel like I'm getting a good grasp of software development in my current cirruculum.

Creating and developing something or contributing to something is, I agree, a pretty necessary part of learning software development. This I agree with. But acquiring that experience is what is challenging for me and I imagine is challenging for a lot of people. Nearly all the postings I see for programmer or developer postions require minimum 3-5 years experience. The ones that don't, require proficiency or mastery in their stack.

Is there a website like github but for games? I wish I could join a group of others in a structure like that.

I don't really know at what skill level you are so to say. I'm going to guess you are somewhere in the "upper" beginner segment.

If you can't seem to finish up a project, you will need to figure out what's stopping you from finishing said project. It might be that the scope is just so big you can't do it all by yourself or perhaps you simply lose interest, which is something everyone here has suffered from I'm sure (I know I have my fair share of unfinished projects). Just keep in mind that what you're aiming for is a full time job and you can't just abandon something.

Anyway, you will need to figure out what works best for you. Some people learn better by diving in a big pool of code, some by reading a book and follow guides and others simply go with an idea and learn from there on out when they get stuck. There is not really a good or bad way, just whatever works for you.

I would personally stay away from bigger projects and trying to contribute to it unless you already acquired some skills yourself so you at least understand what is going on. As you already mentioned yourself, it's easy to get lost in such projects and with that, motivation can drop very fast.

I would advice to start small. Grab Unity3D or similar engine and start making some really small games or try to recreate something. Don't think that you're doing it for nothing, you're gaining experience with every game and at some point you will get something out of it you will want to put on your portfolio.

I'm not sure if there is something game specific like github, my guess is that most people work with github though, but simply collaborate through different means. You can check the forum of the used engine where people more than often post projects they want some help on. I think you can also take a look at the classifieds section here if something pops up.

Most of all though, keep having fun and enjoy what you're doing!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement