🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Being approached by a publisher

Started by
7 comments, last by Brain 9 years, 6 months ago

I imagine this is not a common scenario (I didn't find anything searching for it), but I hope I can get some advice from a 3rd party which also might be helpful for someone else. Here is my scenario:

I started working on a prototype for a browser based, small community RPG, and made it public to a reasonably sized group of people about a month ago. It has had a pretty good reception and caught the eye of a publisher who approached me about wanting to either work with me or license the game from me. This was completely unexpected and I have zero experience with publishing, but am interested in pursuing it.

Some background on the company. They are a pretty new Chinese publisher that has split off from another major Chinese company. They are looking for some long term game investments and feel like my game would be a good opportunity for them.

They are open to just about any sort of arrangement. The options I've been presented with are:

• License to them for specific regions and work by myself (full creative control I assume)
  • License to them and also work under them for a salary (more collaborative, less control for me)
  • The publisher and I decide upon what changes I need to make before agreeing to anything else, and work from there

They have also asked for me to give them salary and licensing numbers. I think I can ballpark a salary. I've seen some general scenarios from research I've done for regional licencing, but I have no idea what is really realistic there or how to come up with a good figure to start with.

If I could ask about specific things, it would be: what might be the best license/salary situation to negotiate toward? Since they are asking me for numbers, and them coming to me with numbers is there anything I should be aware of?

Advertisement

It is a business decision of course.

First, on your own, do you already have a business plan? Have you already incorporated as a business? Do you have a business lawyer?

Second, with the organization, how comfortable are you with an international contract? Does your business lawyer feel the same way?

How does it work with your existing business plan? Have you investigated other potential partners and publishers?

I would be extremely wary of the deal based on the minimal information you gave. It could be legitimate, it could also be along the lines of "I am an EXILED NIGERIAN PRINCE needing to move the sum of ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS...."

Before proceeding with ANY negotiations or contracts you absolutely need to consult with a local business attorney. Based on your questions, right now seems to be a great time to hire one.

I was definitely aware that I would need to speak to an attorney, but I was thinking after working on negotiating some terms (but obviously not agreeing to or signing anything). It sounds like I should speak to one right away to get the best advice.

Since this started out as a prototype to experiment with and had no immediate intent of monetizing it, I have not created a business plan. The publisher has ideas for monetizing based on their knowledge of the market. They contacted me simply out of interest in the prototype game I had developed.

Again, since this it is a prototype I have not setup an LLC and certainly no an incorporated business. Would an LLC be enough? I can see needing some sort of entity to be able to license software to another business, which I had not considered.

I agree that it feels a little iffy. I have spent a reasonable amount of time speaking to an international business representative from the company, but I am certainly being cautious, which is why I'm seeking out advice.

Thanks for your feedback!

Yes, it is best to talk to the attorney before negotiations begin. The farther down the road you go, the fewer options you'll have available to you.

Having a publisher fills some specific business needs. Even if everything about the offer is fair and balanced, if you don't actually have those needs it can be a bad deal.

Since you don't have a business plan, how do you know those are your actual needs? Without a plan, without a destination in mind, it doesn't really matter what path you take.

In my experience with these sort of things (non-game related), you should be extremely skeptical of their offer of "full creative control." Hell, be skeptical of licensing, and everything :P Not to be too cynical, but it's all too common for these sort of contracts to be profitable only for the publisher, with the creator left little if anything (whether creative control or money). Definitely have an attorney (a good one, if possible, the publisher's attorneys certainly will be) before proposing anything to them.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

First and foremost, you don't want to get ripped off. You don't want to sign a contract which signs your rights away, gives up creative control, or gives up your intellectual property rights. So, be careful for any terms which may do so without appropriate compensation.

If they're paying you money to make this game you've prototyped, you should also keep in mind that you may not want to work on this game as a solo developer. You may find that a few months down the road, you need help in areas that you don't have a good skill set in, or you just have too much work for one person. This means hiring someone to work with you and that usually equals paying wages and that means you have to have a place for them to work, and that comes with some slight facilities costs. Whatever happens, you'll want more money than you personally need due to unforeseen cost overruns or future expenses.

That being said, since you're dealing with someone who you've never done business with before, you can't necessarily trust them. Especially as an international relationship. The simple response is to agree to some contracts, but what happens if one party breaks the terms of the agreement? How are the contract terms enforced in international law setting? It would be easy for someone like you to take the money and just disappear without a trace and there's very little legal recourse. Or, you could sign some agreement where you deliver a finished game and expect to get paid for it, but never do. I think, in a scenario like this, what would probably work best is some sort of milestone payment system, where you and the publisher agree on a set of milestones for the project, and you get paid each time you reach one. And, to get things started, you'd need some seed money both to start working and as a sign of good faith and commitment on behalf of the publisher.

Keep in mind, every publisher is treating your product as a risky investment. They want to make money off of it to recoup their up front costs, so you're going to get pressure to monetize the game. You'll have to explain to them how you plan to make money off of this, and if you don't, they'll plan it for you (and you may not like their monetization strategy).

Anyways, take my words with a heavy grain of salt. I've never worked with a publisher myself since I'm independent. But these are things I'd look out for.

They have also asked for me to give them salary and licensing numbers.

You should ask them to make an offer. He who names a figure first usually suffers.

And the fact that this is a new publisher (a spinoff) is worrisome. They haven't settled into a routine yet, and you don't have a track record to look at. Whatever arrangement gives you the most wiggle room is the best way to go. Arrangements can change over time - don't make a longterm deal at this point. And absolutely start looking at experienced game attorneys now.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for all the replies. I'm definitely going to seek out an attorney and will hold off on anything else until I get more information from him/her.

Tom, the advice you have given that the person making the first offer suffers is great information valid in many walks of life even when negotiating salary for any job. I agree on this and just wanted to say that the advice is great, and if you can bookmark any advice this year, this should be it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement