🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

help wanted

Started by
11 comments, last by REALMLORD 22 years, 7 months ago
Hello i would like to say i am a newbie and im learning the C language at the moment i also own and using visual C++ 6.0 the standard edition. I am looking for a Newbie or a intermidiate programmer Who would like to Tutor me in making a Game project. the Game would be like Tetris ,Break out or pac man. i do understand somethings but i would like to be Tutored and told what the next bit to do.so if u said right u need to make a game menu. Once you have made that you will need to do this etc, etc and to explain the steps involved like what this bit does and what that bit does if anyone is interest please contact me thank you for hereing me out. I am "BORG" resistance is futile I am "BORG" resistance is futile Edited by - REALMLORD on November 14, 2001 3:29:31 PM
I am "BORG" resistance is futile
Advertisement
Um, read a tutorial.
If you read it from top to bottom, it is the same thing as someone telling you what to do in order.
The important part is starting at the top, proceeding through the middle, and ending at the bottom.
REALMLORD: I think first of all you need to decide exactly what kind of game you want to develop. From there think about the steps necessary to develop the game and ask constructive questions from there.

In all fairness, what you''re talking about is a hand-holding exercise which would be quite time consuming. You need to do a certain amount by yourself and ask for help on specific small topics rather than saying to someone "help me write a game".

If you are only just learning the language I would suggest keeping the game simple though. If you are developing this under Windows with DirectX there is a huge learning curve relating to Windows programming and DirectX programming ahead of you before you even get into the techniques of writing a good game. Even established game programmers have problems with Windows and vice versa.

Breakout would probably be a good starting point as it''s quite a simple game to code and could be extended as your knowledge grows.

If you need any further help feel free to ask...
"Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, and add what is specifically your own." - Lee Jun Fan
quote: Original post by REALMLORD
Hello i would like to say i am a newbie and im learning the C
language at the moment i also own and using visual C++ 6.0 the
standard edition. I am looking for a Newbie or a intermidiate
programmer Who would like to Tutor me in making a Game project.
the Game would be like Tetris ,Break out or pac man.
i do understand somethings but i would like to be Tutored and
told what the next bit to do.so if u said right u need to make
a game menu. Once you have made that you will need to do this
etc, etc and to explain the steps involved like what this bit does and what that bit does if anyone is interest please contact me

thank you for hereing me out.

Edited by - REALMLORD on November 14, 2001 3:29:31 PM

Well when you lerning the C language now, learn after that C++, then WINAPI and then DirectX, have a look at "The Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" there you will find some example for breakout. If you like to do a pac man or a tetris game, you should know, you have to learn all the stuff before you can write a line of this game. I have learned that stuff and writing programms for 6 1/2 month yet, and the only thing I have done of all the game stuff was som tetris game, so have some patients.

I agree with Mr. Anonymous. He knows what he''s talking about.
I took the EXACT path he described and now I''m still working on a GUI before I work on my first real project-> Tetris.

Have you read Windows Game Programming For Dummies?
If you haven''t, read it after you learn C/C++.
btw, you don''t have to be an expert C++ programmer to understand the book.

We wish you luck...right guys?

Newbie to game programming?
visit

KaBooMgames
Great for Newbs, Masters welcome as well
------------------------------------KaBeeM Web
<><
thanx for your feed back guys and i agree with you this stuff is hard to learn but i dont know how far i have got . ive got the book tricks of the windows game programming gurus but thats in c++ and directx . i will get that game programming for dummies book they must of made that book for me. what graphics API do you use for a c programme or should i learn directx. oh yeah i just want to say im not asking anyone to write the code for me i just wanted someone who was interested in making a breakout , tetris or a pac man game and give me pointers in where i should be starting at and what comes next when i have done that etc,etc and then when we have finished the first section of the game i show you my code and you show me yours and you can tell me where i could improve on my code and what mistakes i have made in it.so we will being working together but writing the code seperate but if i get stuck i could ask you for some pointers etc, etc .

thanks for listen guys and your feed back

Pay no attention to these people . If you want someone to help ya out, as I had someone help me, contact me on ICQ or AIM. I won''t do everything for you, but I can sure as hell teach ya some things.

Email: rem@ziremsoftware.net
AIM: Remnex1

------------------------------
"I''m a decorated astronaut, I don''t make those kind of mistakes."
"Oh now wait a minute. Look I''ll show ya. I''ll enter the same calculations using what we like to call ''The Right Way''."

-Rem
Zirem Software
------------------------------"I'm a decorated astronaut, I don't make those kind of mistakes.""Oh now wait a minute. Look I'll show ya. I'll enter the same calculations using what we like to call 'The Right Way'."-RemZirem Software
Hi Remnex

thank you for your reply. as soon as you say you want help people automatically think you want them to write the whole game for you. Well this isn''t true i would like to start a project with someone who knows the steps to making a game and we could work beside each other .But as i dont know the steps to maing a game it is hard to start a project by myself, so if we do start a project i need you to point out what we are doing and tell me what i need to study or look into to finish that section and then we can compare each others code and you could point out to me where i could improve on my code . so i will be writing all the code myself and you will be writing all your code.

Well Thank You For Your Reply Remnex
REALMLORD

ps real name is ade i am looking forward to starting a project with you but more importantly finishing the project.my email is meesed up at the moment. you can send but i cant i will talk to you here once again thanx.

quote: Original post by REALMLORD
ive got the book tricks of the windows game programming gurus but thats in c++ and directx.

Actually, it''s C with sprinkles of C++.

Your rhetoric about people assuming every cry for help is someone wanting to freeload their code is misplaced. If you took a look around (especially at older threads), you''d find that very often that is exactly what happens so people are thus justified in telling you to learn on your own.

Furthermore, programming is a solitary activity. Sure, we often work in groups (in fact it''s an essential skill), but the actual programming can only be done by one person at a time. Most people here learnt to program on their own, some with a more experienced person to whom they could turn every now and then - most without. Consider it a "rite of passage." Noone wants a depency always crying at you "It doesn''t work!" (it gets irritating rapidly), which is why we rather come to places like this and help out people who don''t know us. If you were to consistently email me with beginner''s questions, I''d answer you at first but after the 3rd or 4th message I''d tell you to go read a book.

I notice that you state you''re "looking forward to starting a project with someone... but don''t know the steps to making a game." I''d advise you to shelf making a game for now and concentrate on learning how to program in general. Hopefully Remnax will too.

So, it''s nice that Remnex decided to help you out; just don''t take that as license to lash out at anybody else.
you are right programming is a solitary thing thats why i said i would write my code and you write your code then we can compare them. so i will be programming on my own. thats cleared that up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement