🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it viable to distribute your game via USB flash stick?

Started by
10 comments, last by LorenzoGatti 9 years, 7 months ago

I think rAm_y_ probably gets that -- they just seem to worry that the gatekeepers might not accept the game for whatever reason, maybe quality, maybe content, maybe a perceived lack of market. All those are the prerogative of the shopkeepers, of course, but they're a hurdle for those who want to publish their game in a visible merketplace, none-the-less.

Its also not terribly hard or even expensive to self-publish digital content and skip the physical media, provided that you were already comfortable accepting the realities of a physical release (e.g. no reasonable ability to lock pirates out). Short of a cryptographic hardware dongle that holds a secure portion of the game's code, physical media isn't going to be any more secure than a digital download, so there's really no benefit to it unless people actually want the trinket, or a significant portion of your customer base lacks sufficiently-speedy network access for digital distribution to be viable for them. I pay $10/mo. for my dreamhost account that has plenty of bandwidth, but the offer another service specifically aimed at hosting digital content for something like $0.02/gb that's all-inclusive (in other words, the bandwidth doesn't count against your regular bandwidth) and employs their content-deliver network (CDN). They leave you on your own to handle payments and validation though.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Advertisement

Possible - yes.

Feasible - no.

But if you are making a kickstarter a "custom pendrive with the game" could be interesting (as long as you are able to mark somehow the pendrive with your game's logo or something).

Stellar Monarch (4X, turn based, released): GDN forum topic - Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Case study: I own three products or parts of products that were distributed as a USB stick. All are very different from a typical videogame.

• Samsung swag from a fair: a 3 GB memory stick, Olympics-branded and in a credit card shape, which might or might not have contained promotional media files. It makes sense because, unlike a disc, a memory stick is useful and valuable.
  • Fairly bulky text and graphics files for the questions of a quiz-based board game, on a common brand (not cheap) of memory stick, loose in the game's box along with other components. It was a self-produced game with a very small print run, far below the scale needed for industrial disk duplication and silkscreen printing: I think the memory sticks were chosen over home-duplicated discs because of a combination of convenience, availability, and looking better.
  • A deluxe record box set: books, a selection of music on about 9 discs, everything (about 600 songs) on a custom, industrially produced memory stick. Adding 30-40 more discs would have raised the cost, bulk and inconvenience of the collection to ridiculous extremes; moreover, unlike discs, a USB stick can be easily connected to a car audio system and possibly other devices.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement