🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Legal use of fonts

Started by
21 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 9 months ago
My apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. If it is, you can move it.

Does anybody know where I can find fonts that are legal to use with a Direct X font engine? I sent an email to the MyFonts site telling them what I wanted to do and asked if their license allowed this. For those that don't know, the direct x font engine uses a sprite with all the characters, numbers, and symbols to display any string. MyFonts told me this is making a "derivative" of the font and that is not allowed.

So does anybody know where I can get fonts for this purpose? Can I use fonts from the XNA redistributable package?
Advertisement
Fonts can get tricky.

Some fonts can be licensed and distributed with your game.

Many fonts have licenses that forbid distribution but under careful reading allow you to make glyph sheets from them.

Some fonts are licensed under terms that don't allow any use except in specific limited cases.

A fun thing about licenses is that many times even if you contact the company and they say "no", they use an industry-standard license that says "yes". Look at the actual license, figure out what it says, and if you want to make an email to your business lawyer.
nighthawk, are you going to provide a font to your users, or are you just going to be using a font in creating text for your game? In other words, when someone downloads your game, are they also going to get a usable font with it?

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Tom

I will not distribute the font in its standard format (ttf, otf, ...). But I would like to use the font in Photoshop to create a character sheet for a direct x font engine. Basically a sprite sheet but with the characters I need in my game at the correct resolution.

Basically my font engine will take "hello" and place those characters from the sprite sheet together on the screen.

However, my users will have access to the sprite sheet (png or something like that).

If the font's license says that it's ok for you to use it for commercial purposes, then you can probably make a glyph sheet (bitmap) from it, and then use that bitmap in your game. It's basically the same as making a commercial flyer, poster, etc...

Theres this https://www.google.com/fonts which says this in the about

About Google Fonts

A web with web fonts is more beautiful, readable, accessible and open.

Google Fonts makes it quick and easy for everyone to use web fonts, including professional designers and developers. We believe that everyone should be able to bring quality typography to their web pages and applications.

Our goal is to create a directory of web fonts for the world to use. Our API service makes it easy to add Google Fonts to a website in seconds. The service runs on Google's servers which are fast, reliable and tested. Google provides this service free of charge.
Open Source Fonts

All of the fonts are Open Source. This means that you are free to share your favorites with friends and colleagues. You can even customize them for your own use, or collaborate with the original designer to improve them. And you can use them in every way you want, privately or commercially — in print, on your computer, or in your websites.

We are working with designers around the world to publish quality typeface designs that are made for the web. If you are a type designer and would like to discuss this, please get in touch.

Many of Google's own web pages are already using Google Fonts, such as Google's About page and Google's World Wonders Project which use Open Sans.
— The Google Fonts Team

Im not a lawyer and although ive never used them commercially, there doesnt seem to be any restrictions from reading the part I made bold, they can all be downloaded in zip.

thanks for the google font link. That is going to be pretty handy!

Thanks guys! Sorry for the delayed response, I had company over for the last few days. So I can use the google fonts like Open Sans and make a glyph sheet for my game and it will be legal?

I am sorry. I am paranoid when it comes to legal issues and what I am allowed to do. I don't want to do anything illegal.

Are all the fonts at the Google fonts page open source?

Are all the fonts at the Google fonts page open source?

Just read:

https://www.google.com/fonts#AboutPlace:about

FYI, saying "but the GDNet dudes told me it was legal!" isn't a valid defense. So you prolly have to read and decide by yourself.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

If you're looking for more artistic fonts, this site focuses on fonts with more permissive licences:
http://www.fontsquirrel.com

The licences vary, so make sure to read them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement