🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Personal Non-Profit Game Dev Company Help

Started by
3 comments, last by Vandenn 9 years, 9 months ago

Hi there!

I was wondering if you guys could enlighten me on the following problem:

I have a personal "indie game development company". Whenever I make games, I post it on websites and portals and use the name of the company. So for example, if my company name is 'Super Fun Games', I would:
1. Go to a games portal (e.g. Newgrounds, GameJolt)
2. Sign up/Sign in as 'SuperFunGames'
3. Upload my game (which has credits to Super Fun Games, i.e. Produced and Developed by Super Fun Games)

I was wondering if registering 'Super Fun Games' as a legal entity or as a real company would have any advantage to me if I don't use the "company" for profit (except advertisements) but rather just as a screen name for myself (and for the possibility of having more people on the team).

Is it also legal and alright to register myself under the name 'Super Fun Games' when I want to upload my games to Apple's App Store or Android's Play Store? Or if I want to register myself for things like HARO (Help a Reporter)?

Furthermore, can I use the name 'Super Fun Games' when being interviewed for articles and such?
e.g.
'Super Fun Games' has released a new game called 'The Fun Game' available now on iOS and Android!
I've had the chance to talk with Peter Peterson of 'Super Fun Games'.

Thank you all so much and looking forward to your answers! :D

Advertisement

Id suggest registering the company name if you don't want anyone else to be take it, but its not required. Although I'm pretty sure that if someone does go ahead and register that company name and you continue to use it they can make you take down all your games and sue you if you don't comply

So for example, if my company name is 'Super Fun Games', I would:
1. Go to a games portal (e.g. Newgrounds, GameJolt)
2. Sign up/Sign in as 'SuperFunGames'
3. Upload my game (which has credits to Super Fun Games, i.e. Produced and Developed by Super Fun Games)

1. Do a business name search i.e. Super Fun Games and their facebook before you locked in a name.

I did note you used this name as an example.

It depends what country you are based in how these things work. Where are you?

With Apple specifically, it depends if you have a personal dev account or a company one. A company dev account is only allowed for registered business entities with a valid DUNS number.

Hi!

Thank you all so much for your replies!

So as for some of the questions:

a. Yes I've checked everywhere if someone took the game company name that I had and as far as I can search, nobody has. I think this is due to the uniqueness (and weirdness) of the name. :)
b. I'm based in the Philippines.

So furthermore, if I register for Apple or Android, would it be better to upload under my personal name (to use a personal dev account instead)?

And as long as someone else doesn't take the name, I can still continually use it for articles, game uploads, interviews, and such? (Which is probably risky)

Thank you all so much once again! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement