🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

UK Universities

Started by
2 comments, last by Katie 9 years, 10 months ago

HI guys,

I did a course in Games Technology at Kingston University. Got myself a 2:1 and a job as a Data Analyst for the past year. One thing I noticed was that while I did learn the basics of Programming, I never went into any focus on any languages. It was only when I went to my first interviews I realised how poorly prepared I was. I've done my current job for a year and if anything it's made me want to go back the games industry more than when I started.

Recently the idea has been going around my head, that with the money I have saved, maybe I should go back to uni and do another course, this time focused on programming.

What do you guys think? Is this a horrible I idea or am I moving in the right direction? All I know is that for the first time in a while I actually feel good about the future.

If you guys think this is right could you help me find some universities in the UK?

Advertisement

Generally university studies are not job training. The education teaches a lot of necessary skills and a broad (yet shallow) introduction to many topics you will need.

Often you are expected to learn the languages on your own.

hey,

I am sitting in a similar boat to you. If you wanted to do a games specific course, your only option (for a masters) is Hull university do a MSc in Game Programming. I know of at least one person that went there and is now successfully in the games industry.

However, as you may be aware, having a degree focused on games can impede your attempts at getting an IT job which is not related to games (if you struggle to get into the industry again). After all you are likely to leave the company you are applying for if a game job comes along. although as you have demonstrated it isn't impossible, but I always feel it puts a red flag on my application form.

Is your degree from Kingston Ba or BSc, if it is the latter that is enough to get onto most MSc Computing courses, and you have a year in the industry which will help a lot too.

Best of luck!

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

What's a further degree going to teach you in a year that you really couldn't do if you simply had a year to work on something. You could ship half a dozen games in that time.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement