🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting a work visa

Started by
1 comment, last by Hodgman 9 years, 11 months ago

Hi,

I've recently finished my CS degree and I'm start to look for a job in game development.

My goal would be to get a job as a graphics or game engine programmer but since those roles usually require industry experience I don't mind working as a gameplay programmer or scripter to get some experience and then hopefully move to a different role.

I've developed a small game engine and a game demo for my portofolio, in order to increase my chances.

Unfortunatly there isn't any game studio in my country, so I've to move abroad.

However, I'm wondering if USA or Canada game development companies are usually willing to help recent graduates get a work visa.

From what I've read getting a work visa for the USA is extremelly hard, is Canada any easier?

Most game studios I would like to work at, are either in the USA or Canada, however I'm free to work in any european country.

So what would you suggest me to do? Apply for jobs in the USA and Canada because companies usually help foreigners get work visas?

Or apply to jobs in Europe to get some experience and try USA and Canda in a few years? (Or both :D)

Thanks!

Advertisement

However, I'm wondering if USA or Canada game development companies are usually willing to help recent graduates get a work visa.

No.
http://www.sloperama.com/advice/m72.htm
http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/breaking-into-the-industry-r16

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Usually to hire a foreigner on a visa, you have to first try to hire a local candidate to fill the role. Only after you've proved that there are no local candidates can you try to hire a foreigner...

In this case, graphics/engine programmers are in short supply at the moment, so you've probably got a better chance at getting a visa for one of those roles, than an entry level gameplay role ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement