🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sole Proprietor - Individual or company?

Started by
3 comments, last by Orymus3 9 years, 11 months ago

This is something that have got me a bit confused. I am registered as a Sole Proprietor (in sweden) which means I am liable to tax, vat and to send in documents of my business. I use Sole Proprietor because I am a sole game developer (an indie dev..).

I am a bit confused sometimes though when I am asked if I am a company or just an individual. I am registered and tax liable, so that makes me think I am a company (a one man company), but on the other hand I am an "individual" since its only me. Apple seem not to regard Sole Proprietorship as a company since you cant use a company name with them if you are registered as a Sole Proprietorship.

Right now I am supposed to fill out a W-8BEN document. Should I use the one for "company" or "individual" ?

Advertisement

Sorry I do not know much about sweden tax law. However, companies usually have more protection under the law.

Developer with a bit of Kickstarter and business experience.

YouTube Channel: Hostile Viking Studio
Twitter: @Precursors_Dawn

Should I use the one for "company" or "individual" ?

I would use the individual - but I don't know what that document is.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Should I use the one for "company" or "individual" ?

I would use the individual - but I don't know what that document is.

http://blogs.angloinfo.com/us-tax/2012/12/24/what-is-form-w-8ben-and-what-is-it-used-for/
[size="1"]I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

I am registered as a Sole Proprietor (in sweden)

I'm not familiar with the laws of Sweden, but I'm assuming you have either of these choices:

- Sole Proprietor using your name (John Smith Pankakes)

- Sole Proprietor using a registered company name that does not include your name (Pankakes Galore 1001012003013)

Correct?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement