🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hiring people to create a game for you

Started by
27 comments, last by Tom Sloper 9 years, 11 months ago

Will hiring people to create you a game based on your game idea a good idea? I mean I want to hire everyone to do the job based on the game: game design(how the game plays, looks, works, feels, the formulas etc...), game programming and graphics art. Maybe other things if needed. The idea will be mine but the game designer will take the vague idea and turn it into something that makes the game good such as challenging, fun, engaging etc... The only problem is that I don't want anyone stealing my idea and running off with it to create their own game. How I will know the programmer or the graphics artist won't just steal my design document and create the game on their own? Can I sue them then? I would like your opinions on these.

Advertisement

To be honest, the only thing you should be asking yourself right now is whether or not you have a few hundred thousand dollars (at least) lying around. I say this because nobody in their right mind is going to get involved with this project unless they're paid in advance.

You clearly have no idea what is required to make a successful game, so you can't provide any assurances that you aren't signing people up for a doomed project.

Read this: http://www.lostgarden.com/2005/08/why-you-should-share-your-game-designs.html

Unless you have a working prototype proving your game design/idea is actually fun, engaging and/or addictive, then it's just a text document (if you have one) describing a dream, an abstract thought which is indistinguishable from every other abstract though that every other person in the world has. And nobody (who isn't your close friend and has a passion for that same idea) is going to help you make it unless they get paid a variable amount of money, depending on what you're asking them to do and how much time you're asking them to do it in.

Don't worry about ideas and designs. Nobody is going to steal them. And even if they do and actually make a game from it, it's not going to be the same thing you envisioned. Unless that other person is your clone, but i'm fairly certain we don't have the technology for full grown clones yet. :)

devstropo.blogspot.com - Random stuff about my gamedev hobby

How I will know the programmer or the graphics artist won't just steal my design document and create the game on their own?
If they had the capability to create their own game, then why are they working for you instead of running their own team? If they want to replace you, they'll need all of your money, not your ideas cool.png

Read this: http://www.lostgarden.com/2005/08/why-you-should-share-your-game-designs.html

Don't worry about ideas and designs. Nobody is going to steal them.

Why do people say this? Remember facebook?

Facebook wasn't founded on original ideas. It started out as a "hot or not" clone, and grew into a clone of every other social network at the time.
Minecraft is another amazing example -- it's an unashamed clone, that happened to sell better than the original.

People say it, because if you give the same idea to 100 teams, you'll have 100 completely different implementations and 100 marketin strategies.
Only a small number will be successful, despite them all growing out I the same idea.

Being able to sell something is the most important.
Being able to make something is next in importance.
Beig able to imagine things turns out to be the least...

Personally, we'd rather imagine that the opposite is true, but that's not how the world works.

Everyone has ideas for games. That's millions upon millions of ideas. Some are probably ever pretty great... But they're worthless unless you can bring them to life.
It turns out that value only lies inside implementations, and even then, only in the sale of implementations.
There's so many original ideas out there that most implementors already have a backlog of ideas they'd like to make, so they don't need to steal your ideas. What they need, is to steal your money so that they can implement their own ideas!
Think about it - say a game takes 50 people a year and $10M to make. During that time if everyone on the team came up with just one game idea, you've now got 50 years worth of ideas sitting there -- which is 2,500 man-years worth of potential work, or half a billion dollars worth of costs. Obviously most of these ideas have to be thrown away (or published on the net), even if they're amazing.

@Hodgman

+1

You need to have more than a simple idea to get the ball rolling on a project. You need to figure out:

* Game "story line" if applicable ( some companies hire famous authors )

* Type of game ( RPG, FPS, building, adventure, a combination of many, e.t.c. )

* Target audience ( you can't please everyone )

* Target platforms ( Phones, PC, PS4, Commodore 64, e.t.c. )

* Budget

( Unfortunately, throwing money at a room full of people who are given poor direction, will not yield good results. )

After all that is figured out, you need to prototype the game to see if it actually "works" ( is a good idea ) and if you can get others interested .

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

[/quote]

People don't steal ideas. Most ideas are worthless by themselves.

It is when you've executed an idea that it becomes vulnerable, as someone can take your execution and either clone it directly or create an improved version of it. Execution itself is the hard bit, no interesting idea ever becomes fact without significant discoveries and changes in the process. The gap between the idea and the implementation can be narrowed by experience, but is never small.

In any case, the solution would be to get a lawyer to write a contract that prevents the situation you're worried about. Developing any game, even a small one, is expensive. You're going to want to protect that significant investment legally at some point, it might as well be from the beginning.

Facebook wasn't founded on original ideas. It started out as a "hot or not" clone, and grew into a clone of every other social network at the time.

Huh? "hot or not" clone?

People say it, because if you give the same idea to 100 teams, you'll have 100 completely different implementations and 100 marketin strategies.

That does, make sense.

Only a small number will be successful, despite them all growing out I the same idea.
Being able to sell something is the most important.
Being able to make something is next in importance.
Beig able to imagine things turns out to be the least...
Personally, we'd rather imagine that the opposite is true, but that's not how the world works.

So it's basically:

play = idea
work = implementation

-> All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.
-> All play and no work makes Jack a mere toy.

Right?

What they need, is to steal your money so that they can implement their own ideas!

LOL

Obviously most of these ideas have to be thrown away (or published on the net), even if they're amazing.

Just like an article I saw on cracked.com on "7 game ideas that will never become reality" or something similar.

Thanks.

Millions to create a game? No I meant create a cheap game and hire people online such as from odesk.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement