🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Library redistribution

Started by
0 comments, last by Sik_the_hedgehog 9 years, 11 months ago

Hi, I'm using a handful of open source libraries that are dependencies of my framework that I plan to distribute (possibly commercially, I haven't decided yet). They're all either ZLIB, BSD, or MIT licensed. I'm curious to know how much I'm allowed to modify the folder layout though, because I want to include the .lib files from those libraries in my framework's own lib folder so that setting up a project doesn't involve adding 4 extra linker directories. I already got around the include directory problem by using relative include paths from my own include folder to my 3rd-party dependencies folder, but I can't do that for the libs. Do I have to clutter up the libs folder with license readmes and everything? Or is it fine to just leave those in the 3rd-party folders and move only the .lib files?

Advertisement

Leaving that stuff separately should be fine as far as I know, in fact it's normal to have a dedicated folder for that stuff (and this is assuming you even need to include those files in the first place, since those are permissive licenses - depends if you're distributing the source code I think).

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement