🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hows my portfolio?

Started by
12 comments, last by FLopez 10 years ago

I made my own website both desktop and mobile friendly. I got most of my stuff on it, just gotta include my resume, download links and small descriptions of my games. Tell me what you think so far!

aasimsgamelab.weebly.com

Advertisement
Mobile version, I see Aasim's Game Programming Lab giant image. I tried picking everything I notice, nothing works. There might be some widget somewhere but after about 20 seconds I gave up. If there is anything on the mobile site make it more obvious. I'm viewing it on my tablet which has keyboard and mouse attached, basically works like a laptop with an 11" screen.

Click the "Web" version, I see the same splash screen with some menus on the top. Nothing exciting. About page, it is a paragraph of text, still don't see anything that screams "I want a job, hire me!" Contact page would probably better be served with an email address. Games/Projects page makes it clear you have no problems about ripping off IP (sometimes making applicants an automatic no-hire), and has links to movies that give me no evidence you did anything.

Did I miss anything?

Its still a work in progress, and works fine on my galaxy s4 and ipad. Ill be adding my source code as download shortly too.

this page is weak no content only graphics, You better just give a links to this separate movies, if those are games you wrote they are ok, sim quite complex but empty page with no content is a waste of time

Would love if the title of the game would lead to a Git of some kind so I can see "how" the games were coded.

I wouldn't hire someone based off looks alone, because for all I know, you could be hard-coding everything in a way that is highly dangerous.

Edit: Just watched your Legend of Zelda clone and I can see that you are using the scale on the enemy death animation without altering the pivot point.

this is why your animation "shifts" unnecessarily (at 0:34).

Collision on the paddles in star pong is also a bit off. How did you make your detection?

The landing page is not that great. Not necessarely wrong, but nothing special. It does show you want/aim to be a game programmer, but game programming is a broad spectrum of different specialties which you might want to point out. I am assuming you want to be a gameplay programmer considering what is on your projects page.

Keep it simple and to the point. When going to a portfolio I know what I (should) expect to see there, I just want to know what kind of programmer you are and see what you did. Perhaps a highlight to your most recent/best project on the front page is better than an that might or might not be anything relevant.

On your about page, wall of text. Assume no one will read it and just quickly skim over it so keep it to the point. I personally highlighted some points from my resume there (most recent job/college and some general info like name/age/etc.) and provided my full portfolio as a downloadable option.

I personally don't like having a contact form as the only option to contact you. Providing your e-mail address might be a smart thing to do.

Projects. Can't say anything about them because you're not giving any information about them. I see game clones which might indicate you know how to copy behaviour of other games, or that you can interpret how something is done and recreate it, but generally doesn't show that much. Also note that not everyone will bother with watching the entire video (if at all). Ideally you want to keep it optional. Provide some screenshots that highlight what you did and explain what you did, how you did it, etc and once again: keep it to the point. No walls of text.

As Frob already mentioned, watch out with cloning existing IPs. Sure, it's good practice when you're just starting out, but it doesn't show your "own" skills. This is probably not something you can fix within a week, but keep in mind that it's likely not always going to help you. Not to mention that, as frob mentioned, it's an automatic no-hire for some.

Hey, I used weebly as well to make my site. Try to change the theme.

There is a cool game website looking theme under the "Unique" category. You can edit the HTML and CSS from there to make it better. The format you are using is not that good for your portfolio.

I need to change my site also, but I might have to make it from scratch myself (want it to be interactive).

If you want to make your website even more custom (easily), and you have a macbook or any apple computer, you could use Hype 2.0 which allows you to add interactivity very easily.

Hype

If you made those games under your Game Projects tab, I'd have to say bravo!

I don't think you should have to show your code in order to be hired though. Perhaps a game design document would be better. And I know someone who has been hired based on a video alone, so that IS possible.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Well guys I spruced it much more. Each game now has a description and a download source button. So far I have source for my pong game included. Ill include the source for the rest of the games tomorrow.Also my email now available on the contacts page, and shrinked the wall of text on my about page

Tutorial Doctor, on 12 Jun 2014 - 7:00 PM, said:

Hey, I used weebly as well to make my site. Try to change the theme.

There is a cool game website looking theme under the "Unique" category. You can edit the HTML and CSS from there to make it better. The format you are using is not that good for your portfolio.

I need to change my site also, but I might have to make it from scratch myself (want it to be interactive).

If you want to make your website even more custom (easily), and you have a macbook or any apple computer, you could use Hype 2.0 which allows you to add interactivity very easily.

Hype

If you made those games under your Game Projects tab, I'd have to say bravo!

I don't think you should have to show your code in order to be hired though. Perhaps a game design document would be better. And I know someone who has been hired based on a video alone, so that IS possible.

Thanks for the input, Ill try finding this game theme

now, when it can be possible to download something is a bitt better but still imo it is not teriffically good (as leaves in me some feeling of time waste) i would prefer if you put the content into one simple long up to down scrolled page (and more focus on the contents of the page)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement