🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Copyright and Taxes

Started by
2 comments, last by greenroost1445 10 years, 1 month ago

So Hello everyone I'm new here and me and my friends are starting a studio. and I got some questions.

1 Do I need to file copyright with the US copyright office seeing as i live in the US?

2. what tax laws would I be under as I plan to distribute on Steam and goodoldgames and my location is Kansas?

Advertisement
Creative works are automatically covered by copyright. Registration is optional.

It depends on your company structure. The easiest thing to do is to register as a sole proprietorship / sole trader, but it would be better to register an LLC if there's multiple people sharing ownership.
That company is then paid by Valve, who reports the payments to the IRS (they might also pay the tax on it for you -- you'd have to get greenlit first and read the contracts), and then you also reort the income to the IRS when doing your annual tax forms...

what tax laws would I be under

Federal, state, and possibly municipal. You need to check with all three.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Creative works are automatically covered by copyright. Registration is optional.

It depends on your company structure. The easiest thing to do is to register as a sole proprietorship / sole trader, but it would be better to register an LLC if there's multiple people sharing ownership.
That company is then paid by Valve, who reports the payments to the IRS (they might also pay the tax on it for you -- you'd have to get greenlit first and read the contracts), and then you also reort the income to the IRS when doing your annual tax forms...

what tax laws would I be under

Federal, state, and possibly municipal. You need to check with all three.

Thank you

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement