🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Any advice on making a portfolio?

Started by
3 comments, last by frob 10 years, 1 month ago

Hello GameDev.net.

I'm a recent grad from university in game design and I'm wondering about making an impressive portfolio to show to potential employers. I'm not requiring that the industry be game development specifically, but something in the fields of software design/engineering, modelling and simulation or general programming. I'm currently also studying for my GREs and applying to grad school, so I'm hoping for a decent paying job that will afford me the time to get the classes for that done (if that helps to paint a better picture for what I'm aiming at.)

I'm hoping to make an online portfolio that can display games I generate in Unity3D, videos of games that might have controllers other than keyboard and mouse (i.e. I have and develop for the Oculus Rift), and my resume, though I will probably just use my LinkedIn page in lieu of that.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here would have advice on good online services would allow me to make a good portfolio, and what I should specifically include (if I missed something in the above comments).

Advertisement

Now, I'm a student as well so other people here will probably have more to say about this than I do, but based on what I've learned from others here, the contents of the portfolio is dictated by the job you apply for. If you apply to a design position, make your portfolio stronger in aspects of level design and the like, because otherwise it seems strange for a designer to focus on say, programming, rater than the core skills required by the job (although, in the games industry, having programming experience on top of whatever job you apply to never hurts, just as long as you put the resume focus where it needs to be).

Thanks for the input, but my biggest hurdle I'm feeling right now is what would be the best site (other than one I bought) to host my stuff on?

There are numerous hosting sites available that will serve your need, but a few pointers that are, in my opinion, a must:

• Don't use "free" webhosts. They generally limit you in what you can do with the site, have pop ups/adverts which are quite annoying.
  • Spend what you can, webhosting doesn't have to be expensive, but don't be greedy. The above mentioned can also apply to this along with slow loading times which can make people close your site before it is even loaded.
  • Get your own domain name and keep it professional and/or personal. A nickname might be ok, but if I see "XxDarkSephirothArtxX.com" I will not take a look at it.

So in general, make sure it's accessible, doesn't annoy the viewer (you don't want to distract them from viewing your stuff) and doesn't let the viewer wait too long. Also make sure the domain name isn't so obscure people might easily forget it. I would generally advice to keep it personal and to use your name.

When it comes to content, what Mark Y. said is very true, stick to a principle you are comfortable with. Keep your site simple and to the point. Don't post 100 lines of text for someone to figure out what something does and what your contribution is, if you really want to explain something that requires a larger piece of text, additionally provide some digestible bulletpoints (or similar) that provide enough information to those that just skim through it.

With all that said, good luck! :)

I'm a recent grad from university in game design ... something in the fields of software design/engineering, modelling and simulation or general programming.

Unfortunately the generic "game design" schools tend to produce graduates for roles that are sparse. Read the forum FAQ for a lot of details. We routinely (and regrettably) see too many people who get a useless "game design" certificate, where a company is just in the business of selling dreams and separating people from their money. Hopefully you went to a reputable school that taught you real skills.

For the role, pick ONE. Studios don't say "We have an opening for a modeler/designer/programmer, must have 3+ years experience in each field."

Game designer. This is not entry level. You might get a lower job, like a level designer. A portfolio for a level designer would include views of levels and the reasons behind what you did and why you did it. Explain why things are where they are, and not just "I plopped down some barrels and crates". Did you give every location a similar risk/reward situation? Describe things like how you avoided choke points and overly-defendable positions. Provide flowcharts for collection games or progression-based games, detailing the progression and why the design is good. This should be old-hat if your school actually studied real game design. The portfolio should include a wide variety of levels, preferably written with actual tools like Unity or modding systems.

Modelling. This can be entry level. Show models you have done. Good modelers can make anything. Era-specific buildings and vehicles, clothing, barns, and fences. Know rigged characters; people, mechs, animals from zero to eight legs, sometimes with wings. Modelers also spend a lot of time on environmental objects; show that you can make rocks, trees, grass, hills, mountains, and whatever else is needed. If your only models are elvish women and guns, your portfolio is incomplete.

Software engineering, simulation, and general programming. Prove that you can do them well. Usually this is done by actually writing game code in your own example programs, but can also be more of an academic focus like showing off your A* algorithm in one place, showing off a simulator or a text adventure, or otherwise demonstrating that you can actually make games. The more evidence, the better for you and the shorter your job hunt will be.

Be local. If there are no game studios near you, be prepared to move first. It is exceptionally rare for for a studio to pay to relocate an entry-level developer.

Don't expect to break in with no effort. There are a very small number of game studios relative to other industries. It can take months or even years to break in, so be prepared to apply for jobs in similar fields and start your career. If you cannot immediately get a job making games but you can get a job elsewhere in entertainment, or in programming medical imaging software, or in something else that can help you build your portfolio, do so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement